15: Interrogation

The chill of metal against my throat stiffens my shoulders and hitches my breath.

Is it Master Synn? Has he truly decided after all of my shenanigans that he wants to kill me?

But, no...that doesn't make sense. He hung up my drawings. And the torso pressing against my back is bony, cold, and scaly - unlike the warmth and softness of Master Synn's proximity.

I try to force myself to think clearly. "W-who are you?"

"Shut up, slave." A deep voice hisses like a snake in my ear, causing me to shudder. "Don't ask questions, just tell me where it is."

I furrow my brow, trying to understand how this person even managed to even get inside the house. Clearly Master Synn has a few enemies. I think back to Fexen. Or maybe this is another one of Master Synn's ill-behaved friends? Is this how people treat slaves?

But I'm not this man's servant and he's not anything like Master Synn. Even with a blade to my throat, I don't have to surrender my control to him.

"Well, do you want me to shut up, or do you want me to tell you? Because I'm not telling you anything, you stupid reptilian!" The words burst from my lips before I can stop them. It definitely isn't the right thing to say in this situation, but it sure felt GOOD.

I was never able to speak to anyone in my tribe like that. In fact, I've never been able to stand up for myself at all. My body surges with adrenaline all the way to my fingertips.

"Wrong answer, you dumb wench." He spits over my shoulder, shoving me against the countertop. The blade presses harder against my throat, drawing a droplet of blood, but it can't prompt me to give him more of an answer. "Try one more time before I end your meaningless bitch life."

"Try it. I dare you. I don't care if I die anymore." I growl.

"That's IT!" His voice rises to a shout and he shoves his elbow into the small of my back, forcing me harder down onto the counter. He grabs at the skirt of my dress and yanks it up, bending me down on top of the counter. I grit my teeth and squirm, trying desperately to escape his hold.

"Not so brave now, are you?" His sickening voice chuckles in my ear, pressing moist air uncomfortably into my eardrum. "You think you can talk back when you're a useless slut slave with no control at all? You're meant to listen, to do what others tell you, and not talk back. Don't you know that? Or are you too stupid to have figured that out?"

His long, pointed fingertips dig into my waist. "Well, right now, I'm going to teach you-"

A loud crack reverberates through the kitchen and the man's weight dissipates from my back. I tug my skirt back down and sprint across the room, doubling over in the corner, wide-eyed.

Master Synn stands in the doorway, arm raised, with his pale eyes narrowed and glowing like fire. His jaw is tense and his shoulders are tight as he holds my attacker levitating mid-air with his legs clearly broken.