Chapter 26- A Diversion

Legolas and Amara entered the great hall together, finding Gimli, Aragorn, and Gandalf were already gathered.

"Ah I see the love birds have decided to join us!" Gimli called, letting out a puff of smoke from his pipe. Amara looked at him quizzically.

"What?" Gimli huffed. Amara shook her head and her and Legolas walked further in, taking their place beside Aragorn.

"How is it the dwarf knows about us?" Amara asked lowly, her mouth barely moving. Only Legolas could pick up her faint voice.

"Aragorn, I may have told him."

"Now I know who not to confide in." Amara said with a slight smile.

Eomer was the last to arrive, his face free of worry and a smile on his face. Amara guessed he had just visited with his sister.

The room was silent.

"Frodo has passed beyond my sight." Gandalf announced, walking across the hall. "The darkness is deepening."

"If Sauron had the Ring we would know it." Aragorn said.

"It's only a matter of time. He has suffered a defeat, yes, but behind the walls of Mordor our enemy is regrouping." Gandalf said.

"Let him stay there! Let him rot! Why should we care?" Gimli huffed.

"Because 10,000 Orcs now stand between Frodo and Mount Doom." Gandalf pressed.

"I've sent him to his death." Gandalf then said. Aragorn turned to the wizard.

"No. There is still hope for Frodo. He needs time and safe passage across the plains of Gorgoroth. We can give him that."

"How?" Gimli inquired.

"Draw out Sauron's armies. Empty his lands. Then we gather our full strength and march on the Black Gate." Gimli chokes on his pipe.

"We cannot achieve victory through strength of arms." Eomer spoke up.

"Not for ourselves. But we can give Frodo his chance if we keep Sauron's eye fixed upon us. Keep him blind to all else that moves." Aragorn said slowly. Legolas stood straighter.

"A diversion." He said.

"It would work. As powerful Sauron his, he is easily distracted." Amara said.

"Certainty of death, small chance of success, what are we waiting for?" Gimli said. At those words, Legolas took Amara's hands. The elf dwarf looked up at him, but his face should no emotion.

"Sauron will suspect a trap. He will not take the bait." Gandalf said.

Oh, I think he will." Aragorn said with a smile.

The meeting dispersed soon after, everyone leaving with instructions to prepare for battle.

"I must speak with Aragorn for a moment." Amara said as her and Legolas moved to leave. The elf nodded and kissed her cheek lightly, leaving the room. When Amara turned, she saw Aragorn watching her.

"Never have I seen you with such a smile on your face."

"It has been a long time since I have had reason to." Amara said.

"I take it you needed to speak with me."

"Yes..it involves this plan you have."

"Go on." Aragorn said, folding his hands behind his back. Never had Amara seen the ranger look so regal.

"In regards to Frodo and Sam... I spoke with Faramir when I first arrived here and he had them under his watch for a time. But he soon let them on their way." Amara said.

"I am aware...he had intentions to bring the ring to Denethor, but soon changed his ways." Aragorn said, motioning Amara to walk with him. They walked out of the great hall and into the courtyard.

"But did he tell you what creature Frodo chose to keep in his company?" Aragorn sent her a look of inquiry.

"It was Gollum. According to Faramir, Frodo was adamant that the creature remained alive."

"What is on your mind?"

"I do not believe Gollum's intentions are to the destroy the ring. Of course he would want it for himself. He's waiting to strike, and Frodo will be unsuspecting. Aragorn, I wish to ask you... once we empty Mordor, might I slip passed and find Frodo and Sam. Protect them from the creature. And give them extra security to pass safely through Mordor."

"Legolas will not agree." Aragorn commented.

"Ai, but that is why I have come to you, mellon."

"I trust Frodo will do right by us. I do not think he will fail."

"Nor do I. However, even when the ring is destoryed, we don't know what will happen. Sauron will not go quietly that is certain. If not to guide Frodo through Mordor, then allow me to bring him back to us. Once we have confirmation that the ring is destroyed, I will go to Mount Doom and find the hobbits." Amara nearly begged.

"What has you so anxious?" Aragorn asked. Amara lowered her head slightly.

"I fear the future that Sauron has tortured me with." She murmured.

"And what has he shown you."

"Many things, but last night before Gandalf helped me to sleep peacefully, he showed me Frodo and Sam, dead upon Mount Doom. He told me that even if we succeed and they destory the ring, our dear hobbits would still perish....besides, Bilbo would never forgive me if his nephew were to return dead."

Aragorn smiled slightly at the mention of the old hobbit.

"Sometimes I forget how you traveled with Bilbo. I am blind to the trials you faced in that time and the wisdom from your past adventures. Forgive me, for I mistake you for a child despite the centuries between us."

"There is no fault Aragorn. I have almost never been treated as an equal. You did without halt."

"The elf will never forgive me for this, but I know even I do not give permission, you will go. My heart will rest easy knowing it is you to go after Frodo and Sam."

"Thank you, Aragorn. And you are right, even without your blessing, I would have gone."

"You really are a stubborn one, aren't you?"

"You can blame the dwarf in me for that." Amara laughed.

"Not even a dwarf is as stubborn as you. I think you underestimate the stubbornness of elves as well."

"This is true. And with that said, please do not confide Legolas with this information. For out of all the elves, I believe he may be the most stubborn. And he will not understand."

"Your secret is safe with me, Amara. When this is all over, I hope the wrath of Legolas is not too much to bear."

Amara laughed at that and the two parted ways to make battle preparations.