Chapter 2 ~ Space Port

Začít od začátku

I tilted my head, questioning whether I should comfort him. Knuckles hid his face for a reason, I think. He obviously doesn't want anyone to know about this. Besides, he barely knows me, it's not my place to offer support.

As quickly as it started, it stopped, Knuckles blinked the tears away and his face replaced with pure joy. Was it joy that made him cry? Knuckles turned and walked back into the center of the room. He tossed the headset onto the table. A huge smile was on his face.

"I've received some incredible news!"

The room went dead silent, turning to face Knuckles, eyes hopeful. Knuckles took a deep breath before continuing, trying to calm himself. Or it was like a knot in his throat, and wasn't sure how to get the words out? I shift in my corner, keen to find out what was so "incredible" that it could make our Commander's hard exterior crumble by just hearing it.

"Sonic is alive!" he proclaimed.

Jaws dropped, shock and joy were plastered on everyone's faces, ecstatic to hear that after all this time their friend was alive. Even my eyes widened. I didn't know Sonic the way everyone else did, but it filled me with relief to hear that he was still breathing. I thought for sure Sonic would have been murdered shortly after Robotnik's goons dragged his body away... Why would he take Sonic prisoner?

"No way!" the silver hedgehog gasped, face paling.

"What?!" the one female yelled. Her eyes filled with joy for the first in what seemed like a long time.  "Oh, thank God! ...I knew it! knew it!!"

"He's captured in the orbiting prison. My spy there says he's in a solitary confinement cell, and they've...  been torturing him for months..." Knuckles explains, his voice normal. I notice the strain in his voice as he spoke.

What Knuckles said took squeeze at my heart. That's why that insane doctor took him... I think. To break him. I could only imagine what it was like to go through something like that over the span of six months at the doctor's hands. Especially when you have angered him as much as Sonic has. For Sonic, Robotnik would make sure that it would be the worst, most agonizing experience possible. I couldn't help but fear for that cocky hedgehog. I guess it's because I know what Robotnik is capable of.

"That's horrible! We need to save him!" the girl urged. Both rage and worry etched on her face, but her eyes were filled with pain. When I looked around, everyone had this emotion in their eyes.

"Plan's already happening," Knuckles replies. "I've got a squad on the way to the Space Port in the Chemical Plant, to... 'borrow' a shuttle. Pack up the supplies get ready for our old-school style jailbreak."

Everybody quickly got to work, grabbing weapons kit, packages of grenades or ammunition. I nervously watch from my corner, feeling useless and almost intrusive. Everyone here already knew where all the supplies were kept, so I can't exactly "help out". I can't exactly communicate that I want to offer my assistance either.

The pink hedgehog was rushing to pack up all of her things: laptop, headset and folders. Her hands kept shaking and she dropped her headset and folder to the floor, scattering the papers inside all over the concrete.

She mutters in frustration to herself before crouching down to the floor and trying to collect her things. My gut told me that I needed to help her. Not because she needed it, but because I want to prove my worth and not seem insignificant.

I rest my Wispon down on the ground, stand up and walk over to the girl. I stand there for a short second delay. I didn't know what stopped me, but the girl didn't even notice my presence yet.