Chapter nine

Brendon wakes up about 20 minutes before Ryan does, and he looks at Ryan. He's mad at himself for kissing Ryan, and he's furious at himself for enjoying it so much. 

He stares at him in his blue hoodie, his frail body, even breathing, fragile look. He's so small, so precious. And Brendon's mad about liking him. 

The kiss was entirely too soon. Brendon knows that so well, that it was way too soon to kiss. They hardly know each other, but then again, that is Brendon's fault. Ryan already found out about him just by looking him up and other interviews, plus the several interview questions he had to ask Brendon the day before. 

Brendon stands up and sits crisscross on the floor next to Ryan's bed. He's curled up, resting peacefully, and Brendon is just watching. His eyes flicker to Ryan's lips, biting his own to resist the need to stand and kiss him. He can say, though, that he got Ryan. He made Ryan go through those 20 seconds of passion and it'll be stuck in his mind. Ryan can be the new one. He loves making people like him, it's easy and beyond tempting. 

There's something different this time. It's not the same. Brendon doesn't remember what it's like to like someone, he thinks love is a joke, but this is definitely different than all the other people who he has lead on. He's only made one move. 

Brendon shakes his head, knowing it's too soon to say it's different. Brendon hurriedly jumps up when Ryan moves very slightly. Ryan's eyes flutter open as Brendon unlocks his phone. He looks down and Ryan looks up at him, then looks at the time. 

'7:26 am'

He jumps up, realizing.

"I-I'm sorry, I guess I should've-"

"Don't freak out about it," Brendon says, and Ryan is taken aback. He was expecting Brendon to yell at him, not be so calm. 

"Do you want me to go get coffee?" Ryan asks.

"Um... yeah, that'd be nice. Get some food too, you didn't eat last night," Brendon says. Ryan nods, standing, but hides how he really feels about needing to eat. 

He grabs his bag, and Brendon looks at him, having to resist stepping forward and kissing him. 

"Do you remember anything from last night?" Brendon asks, and Ryan looks up in confusion.

"What?"

"What did you do? Last night, I mean."

"I was talking to Spencer and then I think I went to bed. I don't really remember going-"

The memory of them kissing hits both of them, and Ryan tenses. He kissed Brendon. He kissed his boss.

"Oh," Ryan says, and Brendon looks away.

"Just go get food and coffee," he says in the most annoyed tone he can muster despite wanting to pull Ryan close and kiss him. Ryan leaves with everything he needs.

"Hey, babe," Sarah suddenly says, and Ryan smiles.

"Hey," he says. 

"You look on edge, what's up?"

"Um... nothing, I just..." Ryan starts to explain everything in the past 24 hours, leaving out how he kissed Brendon. "Josh and Tyler bandaged my wrist, but it still hurts," he continues, looking at his bandaged wrist. Sarah suddenly hugs him, and he hugs back.

"I don't think you should go out alone," she says.

"I'll be fine, I'll make sure to avoid being in a private setting," he says, and Sarah hugs him tighter. Brendon walks out of the cabin, stopping when he sees his co-star and assistant hugging.

"I love you," Sarah says.

"I love you too," Ryan says. Brendon freezes. They're dating. Sarah pulls away and kisses Ryan's cheek.

"Text me when you get there," she says, then turns and walks away. Ryan leaves as well and Brendon ignores the reoccurring pain.