T W E L V E

chapter twelve: the aftermath

Keyshawn stared blankly at the closed elevator doors as it headed down to the c level.

He still held onto Malayah's hand, moving his thumb on the back of her hand in soothing circles as she cried silently. She thought that no one knew that she was crying, but Keyshawn did.

When the elevator door opened, he pulled her towards the direction of his dorm. Renae and Michael followed in suit.

He unlocked his dorm door and watched as Malayah quickly ran inside. He heard a door slam.

"You just need to give her time, Keyshawn. She just wasted two years of her life chasing after a guy who didn't care about her. She'll talk when she's ready. I'm going back to my dorm, call me as soon as she comes out." Renae demanded.

Renae knew that Malayah was heartbroken. She knew that she really did love Cameron.

Whenever Malayah fought with Cameron, Renae was always there for her. But Renae knew that this time, Keyshawn could handle it.

"Michael, are you staying here?" Renae asked, looking at him.

Michael shook his head in response, "I'm coming. Remember what I told you Shawn, you can't afford to get into anymore trouble. Don't go looking for that Cam kid because I know you'll get angry and try to beat his ass."

With that, Michael and Renae left.

Keyshawn knew that Michael was right. He didn't need to get into anymore trouble.

He made his way towards the direction Malayah disappeared to.

He heard crying coming from his bathroom. He brought his hand up to knock on the door, but decided against it.

She just needs time.

Instead, he sat against the wall with his head close to the door. He could hear Malayah's sniffles.

He felt hopeless. It reminded him of his teenage years when he sat outside his mother's door and listened to her cry.

He doesn't remember how long he sat there. Maybe a minute or maybe ten minutes. Maybe an hour or two hours, but he couldn't take it anymore, he softly knocked on the door.

The sniffles subdued. He said, "Malayah, please let me in."

After a few moments, he heard the click of the lock. He stood up and slowly turned the knob.

Opening the door, he saw a teary eyed Malayah looking up at him. She was sitting on the floor with her back against the sink counter and her knees brought up to her chest.

Keyshawn slid onto the floor next to Malayah.

She began crying again, thinking about how foolish she was to ignore the signs that Cam gave.

The ring with initials, almost calling her Amelia, the rehearsed speech, and never being able to hang out.

At this point, Malayah began crying even harder.

Keyshawn felt his heart break listening to her cry. He brought his arm around her, pulling her into his side.

She buried her head into his chest, clutching onto his shirt. Her body shook as she sobbed harder and harder.

Keyshawn brought his other hand up to her head, holding her in place.

"It's okay, Malayah. I'm here for you. I'm not going anywhere." Keyshawn quietly said.

His words comforted Malayah. She trusted his words.

After a while, Malayah's sobs stopped.

"I'm sorry." She said quietly, her voice hoarse from all of the crying.