The Pup

4-year old Mia Forest giggled as the sunlight flickered through the leaves in the dense forest surrounding her home. Her boot-cut blue jeans hugged her little red cowgirl boots as she walked further into the forest, her light blue long-sleeved t-shirt hugging her body. Her head was covered by silky brown hair, and her eyes the color of the sky itself.

She smiled at the ground as she hopped from twig to twig, giggling at the tiny 'crunch' that clicked inside her ears.

Suddenly, she froze. She turned her head to the side, her ears catching a small whine that slipped from some nearby bushes. As she walked towards it, another whine escaped the bushes. She peeked through the lush green leaves and gasped.

A pup huddled tightly underneath an old trunk. Its fur was as black as midnight, its eyes the color of fresh raspberries. It's fur shivered as it trembled, it's nose twitching.

"Hey...." Mia said quietly. "Are you okay?"

Jacob POV
He cowered trembling underneath an old tree trunk. He was exhausted from running and was too terrified to go home just yet. He tensed when he heard a giggle and a small whine slipped his throat. The giggling stopped and he could hear the crunching of leaves as the figure, whatever and whoever it was approached.

He whined again, terrified.

Suddenly, a delicious scent wafted into his nose. The sweet scent of apples and cinnamon and sugar. Soon after, a small girl peeked into the bushes. She gasped as she saw him, her bright blue eyes with white speckles widening. When she spoke, it was tender and warming, lighting a small spark of relief in his fur.

"Hey....are you okay?" She asked.

He internally sighed. She sounded like a gentle angel.
The bushes rustled as she stepped towards him. He scooted further into the trunk, overcome by sudden fear.

"Don't worry..." She cooed. "I don't wanna hurt you."

She gingerly reached out her hand. Jacob tensed.

"It's okay....it's okay..." She said quietly, putting Jacob's fearful heart at slight ease.

She gently placed her hand on his head. He flinched.

"You're so soft." She said soothingly, stroking his fur.
He leaned into her touch, his tense body rapidly relaxing.
She smiled and using both hands, gently massaged the sides of his face.

He sighed, loving the gentle touch of her soft skin. His head leaned to the side as she scratched his ear, his eyes closed.

Suddenly, they froze as the 'crunch' of the forest ground reached their ears. The girl turned. Jacob heard a small gulp from the girl as they both tensed.

Suddenly, a woman's voice called in his head. Someone was mind linking.

"Matthew where are you?!"

It was his mother.

"Is it safe to come out?" He asked.

"Yes, my dear."

"Okay..."

Once closing the mind link, he looked back up at the little girl. Her back was still turned, her shoulders tense. He sighed, and galloped past her, catching her off-guard.

"Puppy wait!" The girl called trotting after him.