Chapter 20

My heart starts racing and I look at Hakeem with wide eyes.

"Roxie? You home?" My father asks from downstairs after not hearing a response.

"I'm here, dad!" I yell back, scrambling to find something to do that could explain a teenage boy in my room. My eyes fall on a random textbook on my desk. I throw it at Hakeem and pull my beanbags towards the middle of my room.

I hear my dad's footsteps on the stairs. Luckily, Hakeem understands the situation and hands me my laptop. I plop down on the bag furthest from the door, so my dad can't see my laptop screen. Hakeem sits on the other one and opens the textbook to a random page.

I let out a breath I didn't even know I was holding.

My dad pokes his head into my room. "How wa–" he starts, before realizing that Hakeem is here. "What are you guys doing?" He asks, stepping into the room to stare intently at the situation.

"Homework." I blurt out.

"Hello, Mr. Williams." Hakeem says, getting up to shake my dad's hand.

"Hakeem." My dad responds, shaking his hand. "Why don't you guys go downstairs and get dinner started?"

"We'd love to." Hakeem says just as I say, "I'm doing homework."

"You can do homework later." My dad says.

"Fine." I say, pushing my laptop aside.

"I'm making macaroni and cheese, so can you guys go start getting the ingredients ready? You know how to make it, Roxie." My dad says, walking to his room.

"Okay." I say, before leading Hakeem down to the kitchen.

I open the refrigerator and begin pulling out ingredients.

"How can I help?" Hakeem asks, leaning against the island.

"Shred the cheese." I say, handing him a wedge of cheese. After, I gather everything I need, I wash my hands and begin. Hakeem follows my lead.

"You're cute when you cook." Hakeem says randomly.

"Only when I cook?" I pout.

He chuckles. "You're always cute."

A huge grin forms on my face. I'm about to respond when my father comes walking into the kitchen. "What were you guys talking about?"

"How excited I am to have some more of your food." Hakeem says easily.

"I always wanted a son." My dad grins, patting Hakeem's back. "You guys did good. Now, it's time for the real chef to takeover." He ties on his apron.

Hakeem laughs.

"So, are you going to keep tutoring Roxie?" My dad asks, beginning to cook.

"Yeah, if she thinks she needs any more help, I'll be there for her." Hakeem says, making my heart flutter.

"That's nice of you. We really appreciate that." My dad says. "Sweetie, get the pasta." He says to me.

I open the cabinet and look up to find that it's on the highest shelf. I stretch my arm out, but just barely miss it. I reach out my hand again, but an arm reaches up from behind me and grabs the box. His chest presses against my back for a split second and heat rushes to my cheeks. "You're welcome, shorty." Hakeem teases before handing the box to my dad.

We watch as my dad prepares dinner, helping him when he asks. As my dad is sliding the dish of macaroni into the oven, my mother walks in. "Hey, honey. It smells amazing in here." She says, walking up to give my dad a kiss.

"Gross." I joke.

"Hey sweetie." She says, giving me a hug and kiss on the cheek. "You too, Hakeem." She adds, giving him a hug, as well.

"How was your day, Mrs. Williams?" Hakeem asks.

"It was hectic, as usual. How was yours?" She says.

"Great actually." Hakeem smiles, looking at me.

"That's wonderful, dear. Let me go change and I'll come help you guys finish up." She says before heading upstairs.

"How's your father?" My dad asks Hakeem, leaning against the counter.

"He's good." Hakeem says simply.

"We should meet him sometime. I wouldn't want him to think strangers are stealing his son." My dad chuckles.

Hakeem lets out a laugh, although it's not as authentic as usual. "He's a busy man. He's fine with me having dinner with you guys."

"Well, you're welcome here any time." My dad says sincerely.

"I appreciate that."

"I'm back! And I'm ready to eat." My mother says, now wearing more casual clothes and her slightly damp curls in a messy bun.

"It's almost ready." My dad says, peeking into the oven.

My mother and I begin setting the table, with Hakeem handing us the utensils. We finish and my father brings out the food.

"This is delicious." Hakeem compliments after he's taken his first bite.

"Of course. My husband made it." My mom laughs. I smile at how she still giggles and brags about my dad even after almost 18 years of marriage. I look over at Hakeem and wonder if we could grow into something special. My mind begins to drift, imagining all the possibilities for us.

I'm brought back to reality when I hear my mom ask, "Do you have a girlfriend?"

Hakeem nearly chokes on his food. He reaches for his water as I look at him with concern. He takes a sip and seems to return to normal. "No." He responds.

"Do you have your eye on anyone?" My mom asks, incredibly casually.

Hakeem hesitates. "Maybe."

"Does her name happen to start with an R and end with oxanne?" My father adds.

Hakeem looks at me, unsure what to say.

"Why would you think Hakeem likes me?" I laugh, feeling very nervous for the outcome of this conversation.

"We can tell." My mother says. "The energy from you guys is very different this time compared to last time." She adds with a smirk.

"It's okay if you do." My father says to Hakeem. "My wife and I think you're a good young man. And we know you very well, just in case." My dad adds, an implied warning included in the last sentence.

"You see, Roxanne used to hang around hooligans and we feel you would be a good influence on her. You come from a good family. You have a good head on your shoulders." My mother adds.

I shake my head at her use of "hooligans". "Are you guys trying to set us up?"

"Of course not." My mother says just as my father shrugs, "yes."

"The choice is yours, though." My mother says, leaving me completely baffled.

-----------

Hey guys! Sorry the daily chapter is a tad bit late. But, hope you enjoyed it :)

Things will be picking up from here ;)

Don't forget to comment, vote, and share!

xoxo
-Gaëlle