"Okay, maybe not angel personality wise. I thought of how your kagune looks like flaming purple wings."

"Is that why it's purple?" He looked back down at it.

"Mmhmm, you catch on fast Ayato-kun." She joked.

"Still think angel still makes me sound like a little wimp."

"Fine. You can be my fallen angel."

"Fallen angel. Least it sounds less wimpy than angel." He weighed the options. "Sold"

"Promise me you'll wear it everywhere you go? Never take it off?"

"It's purple. What guy wouldn't wanna wear it everywhere they go." He said sarcastically.

She gave him a blank stare.

"Fine." He huffed. "I promise I won't take it off." He swore.

She smiled and tucked a loose strand of her hair behind her ears. "Perfect."

He smiled at the memory. He never took it off  he kept his promise. But now he had to break his promis. He sighed and gently took it off. At least she'd have something to remember him by. Besides, he didn't deserve it, he thought, he didn't deserve her kindness, her friendship or her love.

He placed the necklace on her nightstand, flickering his gaze over to her, he stared at her face one last time, taking in every delicate feature on her face, every flaw, every contour. Her messy hair fell over her eyes, just like how it did when she was 10, the first time he slept next to a girl apart from his elder sister Touka. He didn't fall asleep that night until morning because of how fast his heart was beating, he was nervous.

He smiled sadly at the girl he fell in love with. He never meant to but she made it impossible not to.

"Goodbye (Y/N)." He whispered as he stepped out her door and shut it gently. He leaned his back on her door, his teeth clenched.

Dammit, she's making it so hard to leave.

He was leaving to protect them. That's what he kept repeating in his head as he walked further and further away from her door. The further away he went the harder his gaze got. He reached downstairs and placed his note on the table.

After one long look he opened the front door and the familair chime welcomed him out of Anteiku as he walked out. He wasn't gonna regret this decision. Morning come, they'll wake up and find the note and--

"So just like that?" He froze at the bottom of the stairs, his jaw clenched as her voice filled his ears like the delicate sound of wind chimes.

He didn't turn. He stood still, his back facing her and his whole body suddenly tensed.

(Y/N) clenched her jaws and tightened her fist. She was still in her pink and white pajama.

"So just like that you're leaving us?" She repeated, taking a step down. "I-I thought I got through to you Ayato-kun.  You don't have to do this."

You did, Shrimp. You think you scratched the surface but you didn't, you drove in deeper than anyone else. And I let you. That was my mistake.

"Go back inside (Y/N)." He said in a dangerously low tone, his eyes narrowed.

"No. You're an asshole." She snapped, and his eyes widened in shock. She almost never swore. "You can't just up and leave like that Ayato-kun. At least say goodbye properly."