OCTOBER 12, 4:12 AM, TWO HOURS REMAINING

Adam remembered the heat of the school wall on his back as he'd leaned against it waiting in the afternoon sun for Elle to return from gym with her jacket. He'd stood there, bored, with his backpack slung over his shoulder, and five dollars in his pocket. There was a convenience store on the way home which sold candy bars and ice cream. His gaze had been on the pavement in front of him when a car had pulled up. He didn't quite recognize it - a black pick up truck, dented, older model - but he was right in front of the parent pick up and Mulberry middle school had over five hundred students. The window rolled down. A man peered out. Older, sharp, pale, grey eyes. "Hey kid-"

      He'd always wondered if Elle had been hurt when she'd stepped back out and he'd been gone. Had she gone home, hurt, thinking he'd just left without her? She'd have been angry with him until she'd have come to school the next day, and he wasn't there, and then the next day came, and there were police at the school, and his parents were worrying until they couldn't sleep, and the teachers nervous, cryptic, and he woke up in a cold, cement room.

      Adam took a step back from the door. The gun shot had followed a thud, and he was still, his stomach twisting.

      Edward tried the door!until he whirled, ignoring Adam. The locks here were shockingly easy to undo; all it looked like it took was something slim to turn the lock even from the outside. Edward searched the counter, knocking a class mug over which shattered on the floor, and found her car keys. They jingled, a little cartoon character from television dangling from them. He used a slim key to turn the lock on the door. It clicked and he turned the door knob.

      The door swung open. The pink lamp illuminated the room, and Adam could see the gore from over Edward's shoulder. He clapped a hand over his mouth. He felt sick. A radio sputtered then went out.

        It smeared the bedspread and the books, notebooks upon it. Red, thick, and clumpy. Elle had crumpled on the floor, slumped against the side of the bed, twisted and eerily still. Edward had gone still, a hand going into his hair. Adam stepped further back so he would not see. His back struck the round kitchen table behind him, and he slid down it, until he was sitting. On the news, he'd heard, once, that Elle was considered the last person who'd seen him alive. Somehow, that fact made him shudder.

      "I-I," He stammered, "We-we need to- to c-call someone- we-" He trailed off, his voice sounding weak and frightened. He stepped back, his hand on the door knob. Shaking. He didn't shut the door. He stepped back further, stopped. His gaze went everywhere, then settled on Adam. "Why-why-... Why the hell did you come back here?" His face was pale, horrified. Adam did not know what to say.

      "I-is she-"

       "I told you stay where I'd left you!"

       "Y-you were taking so long," He cried, his hands still against his mouth. "And- and- there were sirens-"

       "Sirens?" Edward's expression changed and Adam began to nod hurriedly when the sound of another door outside made them both look towards the front door.

       "Oh, Jesus Christ," Edward near moaned. Adam heard a voice outside, two people. 'What was that?' 'A gunshot?' 'It wasn't loud enough to be that-' 'Then what was it?' "Get up, get up-" Edward reached and snagged Adam by his forearm. The car keys were still tight in his hand. He dragged him to the front door and they both stumbled out of it, shutting the door behind him.

         Three people stood in front of the doors in the hallway. Adam didn't hear the sirens which had drawn him out of the apartment anymore; they had been distant, perhaps meant for the disaster which had happened across town.