SEPTEMBER 27, 4:17 PM, THURSDAY

After his final class ended, Edward found Mary waiting by the theatre doors. Inside, while Keaton gave director-like commands here and there, Kayla was already hunched over the mural. Only one remained for the moment to make room for Keaton and his small crowd of drama students.

        All throughout high school, Edward had made an effort to avoid drama students for the sake that they were, expectantly, overdramatic and incredibly annoying. He hadn't expected to fall head over heels for one of them, or even volunteer to help any of them.

        "Oh, by the way," Mary whispered to him as they walked through the seats to join Kayla, "Keaton said if we distract any of them, he'll like- I think he said he'd crucify us, so uh, be as loud and annoying as you can I guess,"

        "Oh jeez," Said Edward, "I wanna live a long life, though,"

        "You do?" She was grinning.

        "No, actually, I wanna die before I'm thirty,"

        "Oh, well, here's your chance,"

        There was no time to speak much with Adam, but he could watch the glimpses of this play. He'd seen it, once, on television, at his grandparents house as a young child, sitting on the couch with his sister. He'd been either six or seven, and it was playing on one of the oldies channels, Laurence Oliver's 1948 Hamlet, with his bleach blonde looking hair and skin-tight leotard. In faded black and white, it's audio had either been overloud or over quiet. Young, baby Edward had been very sensitive and he'd cried when the film had ended with the prince dying in his friends arms. Christina had been bored, and sat on the floor building a house with books.

        The Ophelia he recalled had been soft spoken and gentle with fluttering eyelashes and a downcast gaze like a wounded sheep.

       Adam, he supposed, was hardly much different.

        Lilith was wonderfully aggressive and then reserved all at once, moving from raving mad-woman to suddenly a mastermind who knew exactly what she, the princess of Denmark, was doing to ensure her revenge was swift and satisfying. When it came for Hamlet's so over-done, over-quoted soliloquy, to be or not to be, Lilith's - Hamlet's - hand clamped on Adam's - Ophelia's - wrist roughly, pulling him close to her;

        "- This was sometime a paradox, but now the time gives it proof." A pause. "I did love you once,"

         He searched her eyes with a sadness that looked a step too real, "Indeed, my lord, you made me believe so,"

        Once again, Edward did not mind much when Mary spoke little to him, whispering between herself and Kayla about the day and which classes Kayla took, and so on, and so on. He watched Adam as passively, as uninterested as he could, and did not realize how little he painted.

        The time ticked by quicker than he'd thought. At some point Kayla had gotten up to talk to Keaton. Mary had joined her, and Edward had been boredly painting on.

        "Wow! It looks great!" He might have jumped had Adam not been right behind him. He peered over Edward's shoulder, his hands on his knees.

        "Oh, uh, does it? You should thank Kayla and Mary, then, I can't- I can't paint,"

        "No? You're painting now," He grinned and Edward feigned one in return.

        "... The play looks good so far," Edward said, not looking at him. Adam hummed sweetly.

        "Thank you! Keaton won't stop making us repeat the same scenes, and I know that's what directors do, but... It gets boring." He sighed. "... But, um, thank you, I'm glad you think it's- it's good."

         "Keaton seems hard to work with," Edward said absently.

         "Oh, he's- he's... Something. He's dramatic, and really annoying, but he means well, I think. He wants you to be in drama."

         "I literally would not be able to stand it," Edward said and Adam laughed. He crouched to sit beside him, and took up a paintbrush.

        "I don't think I've ever been good painting, either, but-" As Adam went on, talking softly, Edward kept a sideways glance on his lips, on his cheeks, his neck. He wondered what Keaton had in mind for a costume for sweet Ophelia, and pictured wispy, blue dresses and silks. Adam had the curves for that, he thought, he would loo- "You okay, Edward?" Adam asked and Edward blinked wildly to explain himself when two hands came down on his shoulders.

        Mary hovered behind him. "Uh, Kayla and I are going on a shopping run because Keaton wants more shit for the the stage. I'm driving, and we'll be awhile, so, do you want to come...?"

        Edward considered. He didn't, obviously, he'd rather stay here then hover like a third wheel in the back seat while Mary tried a shot at flirting. He could see she figured that he didn't want to, but he'd need to be home soon and she was his only ride.

        "How long do you think you'll two be?" He asked. Mary chewed her bottom lip.

         "I'm not too sure, honestly..."

        Beside him, Adam leaned forward and said, "Keaton drives me home, I'm sure he wouldn't mind taking you, too, if you need a ride, Edward,"

       Mary gave Edward a look.

       "Well?" She said, and Edward realized he was blushing, faintly.

        "Sure, yeah, I'll just- shouldn't we like, ask Keaton, first?"

       Adam turned to where Keaton stood talking to Lilith and Kayla still, cupped his hands around his mouth. "Keaton!" Edward held up his hands almost defensively.

       "I-I dont, have to stay here, I can just- Mary can-" He stammered. Adam ignored him.

       "What?" Keaton whirled to face him.

        "Drive Edward home!"

       "Fine,"

        Adam faced Edward and shrugged, "See? He's nice."