9

Selena...

When I wake up, I hear commotion downstairs. I stretch and make my way to the restroom to make myself somewhat presentable. After brushing my teeth, taking medicine and securing my wig, I head downstairs.

Cher sits at the kitchen island, having a conversation with my parents. They notice me and it goes a bit silent.

"Great you're up, We we're just having a chat and your parents made breakfast" Cher smiles as she sips on a cup of tea.

"Well we will have to be going soon, but you two eat up" My mum tells her.

Of course they would leave after I interrupt their morning. I take a seat next to Cher and she stands up and grabs a cup.

"Tea?" She asks, and I nod.

She pours the hot liquid in the mug and hands it to me. My parents finish up with their cooking and begin to gather their things.

"Well it was lovely seeing you again Cher" My mum says and gives her a side hug.

She simply gives me a sad smile. Her and my father exit the house, leaving Cher and I alone.

"Sorry for ruining your morning" I mutter as I take a sip from the cup.

"That's so strange that they'd act like that" She shakes her head and stands up, walking to the stove.

She grabs a plate and fills it with breakfast and does the same to a second plate. She slides it towards me.

"So I wanted to talk to you about something" Cher says as she eats.

I pick at my food and give her a nod to continue.

"Why is it that you stopped chemo?"

Im silent at her blunt question. I hear a loud sigh from her and I set my cup down.

"I didn't really have anything to live for" Is my most honest answer.

"Nothing? Your family Selena, Life in general. You're too young to go so quickly" She tells me a bit hurt.

"My parents don't care about me and pushed me away every since I was diagnosed. Derek moved away before he even found out, and when he did find out, he didn't even come back to see me until way later. And you, You left. I had no friends. I had nothing." The words flow out and seem a bit harsher than I intend them to be.

"I'm sorry" She says quietly.

"Don't be. It's life"

After speaking, she stays quiet. I move from the island and toss my food away.

"I'll be upstairs" I walk past her and to my room.

My legs give out when I reach my bed, and I fall into my covers. My body aches and my head is pounding. Of all days I feel worse than usual. My eyes shut and I try to not focus on the pain. I sit up when I hear the creek of the floorboards and Cher stands in the doorway.

"So how about that thing we have going on tonight" She says.

"Oh yeah the gig, We don't have to go" I tell her.