4

Selena...

It's Friday morning and Derek drops me off in front of my school once again. Today is different though. It feels different. I'm excited, and feel as if I have some energy in my body.

I walk down the hallways with the large canvas in my arms, covered by a cloth. I finally finished my artwork, the art fair is tonight. Ms. Winters stands in the hallway and I make my way up to her with a smile.

"I've finished my work for the art fair"

"Oh that's great, come with me and we'll put it in my classroom"

We go into her classroom and to the back room to keep my painting. She looks at me and then the sheet covering the painting.

"May I?" She asks with her hand by the sheet.

I nod and she carefully removes the cloth from my work. She stands for a moment, her eyes wandering the canvas. A smile creeps onto her lips.

"You've really outdone yourself Selena, it's beautiful"

"Thank you so much, I spent the last three days working on it, before and after school."

"Well I know everyone will love it" She tells me.

A little bit of me wants to believe her, another part believe nobody will show or even take a glance at my work. But I'm proud of it either way. At least one person will remember something of mine.

She walks with me back out to the hallway and I head to my locker. As I grab my materials for class, I feel eyes on me. My eyes make contact with Luke's. I notice he's staring at my shoulder, that has a somewhat large purple and red mark on it. Insecure about this, I quickly cover it with my sweater. I look away and shut my locker, making my way to class as fast as I can.

As I walk, I accidentally shoulder someone. I wince at the pain and grab my shoulder.

"I'm sorry, are you okay? Let me see" The voice says.

I look up to see an eager Calum teaching for my sweater. I pull away and shake my head.

"No I'm fine, sorry" I mumble and continue to walk away.

What is going on this week? First Ashton speaks to me at lunch. Then Luke's constant staring and has yet to prank me again this week. Now Calum actually apologizing? Maybe that was the odd feeling in my stomach from a few days ago. All I know is I'm nervous for whatever is to come tonight.

___

My heart drops when I reach home and my parents are once again nowhere to be found. Derek tells me they left for a date night. They knew it was the art fair tonight, that I'd be showing my work. Yeah it's only high school and doesn't matter much, I just thought it would be nice to have them actually show.

"Hey it's okay, I'll be there for you" Derek says and pulls me in for a hug.

"Thanks, at least I can count on you" My voice muffled from being pressed against his chest.

"How about I make us some food before the art fair, then you get all dressed up. We can have a nice night just you and I"

I smile and nod. He's always trying to make a better situation. I sit down at the island in our kitchen and Derek begins to prepare dinner.

"So how's school been?" He asks, the question I dread everyone asking.

"It's actually been alright. Weird because of how some people have been acting" I tell him.

He raises an eyebrow, telling me to continue and explain this "weirdness" to himself

"Well there's these guys, four of them in like this group. Well they're like 'pranksters' I guess and they've done a lot of pranks on everyone, me of course being an easy target. But for some reason this week they've been talking to me, looking at me and not planning me. It's odd" I explain to him.