Epilogue

Pence had been in office for about 9 months and things were slowly getting better. Granted, Trump had been right about one thing, the government would take a long time to fix after Obama's subpar attempt at foreign policy. However, after everything that had happened I took things with a grain of salt, which for me, was a lot. (Okay, that sounded really cheesy, like the ending to some really sappy movie that makes people cry.)

Nathan and I were in the process of planning our wedding, he said I was turning into a bridezilla, but I didn't believe him although having my mother call me every few weeks wasn't helping my mood.

"Would you rather have some other government official removed from office?" Nathan asked, "Would that make you happier?"

I scowled at him following this comment.

"Well none of them had to plan a wedding while still in office!" I grumbled.

"That could change in a few months." Nathan said conversationally.

I sighed, idly flipping through a bridal magazine. I had ordered my dress shortly after my engagement, but that would take 6 to 8 months by itself not to mention other details.

"I said I'm done after my terms over, but that won't be till the spring."

Nathan nodded.

"Fair deal." He conceded.

"My mother's already badgering me about grandchildren." I shook my head. "I'm not making any promises."

Nathan nodded.

"In time." He murmured.

"In time." I agreed.".

We scheduled our wedding for the following summer. Then it seemed appropriate for a wedding, right? The task that took the longest was sending out the wedding invitations (not even our engagement announcement had taken this long) when I wasn't filling out forms and drafting proposals I was filling out envelopes. What I wasn't doing was on Nathan's desk and he was doing the same thing. What we didn't do at work we finished during the evening over cups of hot chocolate and hot cider. Hopefully everything would be mailed by Thanksgiving.

Our bridal party consisted of friends from college and grad school, old roommates we had kept in touch with over Facebook and various cousins from both sides of our families. My mother wanted my first cousin Emma to be the flower girl, she hadn't quite sold me on that yet. That wasn't my idea of my perfect wedding.

Slowly things were coming together. Part of me wanted everything done and paid for, but that wasn't being realistic it would take several months to get checks to everyone for all the wedding expenses but things were slowly coming together on the calendar, Nathan had booked the honeymoon (he didn't tell me where) the locations for the ceremony, reception and reception dinner had all been reserved, though we still had to figure out flower arrangements, food and the cake.

Sometime later I finally put my feet up on the couch in the living room and turned on my favorite show, something I hadn't done in a long time. Despite everything past, present and potential future I was optimistic.

For me, that was saying something.