Picture Perfect

After work I got ready for my date with Nathan. As I got ready I hummed 1 of my favorite country songs, occasionally singing under my breath as I combed and restyled my hair in front of the mirror.

 As I got ready I hummed 1 of my favorite country songs, occasionally singing under my breath as I combed and restyled my hair in front of the mirror

"What are you so happy about?" Nathan asked with a grin as I came out into the living room.

"Maybe because I get to go on a date with a great guy." I quipped.

Nathan grinned again, his eyes sparkling.

"Now don't get a big head." I added with a laugh.

Nathan shook his head, running a hand through his blonde hair.

"Wouldn't dream of it."

"You look amazing." Nathan murmured as he pulled the chair out for me at the steakhouse downtown. "You should dress like that more often."

I snorted.

" If I dressed like this at work I would probably cause a riot and no one would get anything done." I looked down at my figure hugging red dress that showed just the right amount of cleavage and had strategic slits in the right places.

Now it was Nathan's turn to laugh. We can always tease each other in a lighthearted way which was one of the things I loved about our relationship.

For the next several minutes we studied the menu. I wasn't really in the mood for a 16 ounce steak so I went for a couple of medallions--Nathan had the big steak dinner. Over glasses of wine we talked quietly about normal things and for once I wasn't talking about work... That was over and done with. It was nice just to be able relax and laugh like a normal couple; for once we weren't the hotshot senators we were during the day (we also drew a lot of attention because we were younger and the media thought we had "new and radical ideas" we really didn't, it was simply common sense.)

Then, over dessert (tiramisu and crème brûlée) Nathan dropped the bombshell. He seemed to be fidgeting in his pocket for something then he got out of his chair and down on one knee.

At first, I didn't react. It was like it was happening in a movie or to someone else, but not to me.

"Vanessa Nicole Carlson, you're my best friend and so much more... Will you marry me?"

I opened and closed my mouth several times before answering.

Yes... Yes I'll marry you."

Then I got up and hugged him tightly as he placed the glittering diamond ring on my finger.

Nathan kissed me lightly.

"See that wasn't so bad." Nathan said smoothly, "I'll domesticate you yet." He chuckled, "taming the workaholic woman!"

This earned him a punch in his checkered suit coat (the one I had gotten for him after we had graduated law school) and he darted away still grinning.

"Hey, don't make me take that ring back."

"No way! I answered, not caring that at the moment we looked like a couple of idiots, "it's mine now."