Women Witness

After a little more than a month I got the results of the Russian investigation. I got them the way most people get news--my favorite news site.

The picture under the bold headline showed several men in pressed gray suits being led away in handcuffs.

Members of Trump's Campaign Team Found Guilty in Election Meddling Scheme

"Lovely." I muttered as I continued scrolling through the article.

"Well there was an entire Russian campaign behind it too." Nate commented from across the kitchen table where I was reading my phone.

"Now they can't be screaming "fake news" on this one." I responded dryly, "Seems this one's legit."

Nate grunted as he poured himself a second cup of coffee.

"Do you have to relate everything the politics?" He asked. "You've been doing it since undergrad."

I shrugged, then turned on my most charming smile. "Hey, everyone has their vice."

By the end of the second week in February the proceedings for Trump's impeachment were about to resume. Then began the questioning of the witnesses, several of them a long parade of women.

"It depends what the prosecutors want to focus on first," Nate commented as he straightened out his files in his briefcase, "I may not be as organized as you, Ness, but I'm preparing for a circus."

"Well, I can at least make it an organized circus; at least in my head." I replied.

"It's no wonder you love your job so much Vanessa," the senator next to me commented, "you at least have a sense of humor, I think I lost that after grad school."

"You bet she loves her job," Nate replied without missing a beat, "maybe a little too much."

After several minutes, the courtroom quieted down and the proceedings began. The first people to enter the courtroom other than the presiding judge were the observers, family members of those involved and the like. There were several today, least of all the First Lady.

The next to enter were a parade of witnesses, most of them women and many of them looked very nervous. Many of them had to be secretaries or other White House staff, but even of that I wasn't sure. I only had a rough list of the names of the witnesses and that was all, I knew nothing of their history or how they were involved with the President.

The last people to enter a course were President Trump and his lawyer. They made their way to the defendant's box without much comment.

As much as Trump's Administration employed many women it seemed they still had a lot to say, and not necessarily related to their job. Then the House started calling witnesses. A lot of this was like a standard trial and the witness was sworn in questioned.

The first witness was a cleanly dressed woman, but she looked out of place among what I guessed to be the White House staff.

Ryan began his line of questioning.

"How do you know the president? If I may ask?"

The woman spoke in a soft clear voice, nervous, but controlled.

"We used to work together," the woman answered. "Before he became president... I was an assistant."

"What do you wish the court to know?"

"That he made several passes at me, even while married to his first wife. He even touched me several times--on my lower back or knee... Without my consent or encouragement."

"You tell anyone about these incidents?" Paul Ryan was pacing now, warming to his role as prosecutor.

"No. I was afraid of being fired. Mr. Trump was very powerful, even then."

"Thank you, you may step down."

Several more witnesses were called, each with similar stories, even some of the female White House staff reported similar incidents. Then the questioning took a turn and they started questioning the White House staff in regards to why so many were leaving.

"I don't feel comfortable around the President." One of the female staffers said tersely, "His motives and conduct are questionable. I won't support a government like that."

"Was any of this conduct sexual?" Paul Ryan asked.

"No. Not to me personally, but I've heard rumors."

"I would like to remind the witness," the judge cut in firmly, "that rumors are not admissible within this court."

The witness, in her black skirt and white blouse looked chagrined and some of the stiffness had gone out of her posture.

"Yes Your Honor." She replied.

Then Paul Ryan was addressed.

"The prosecution may resume."

"The prosecution rests,Your Honor."

It went on like this for several hours, and at this point I used up 20 plus pages in my notebook (I was going to need a new notebook by the end of the trial, if not sooner). It seemed each witness was building on the one before. So far, there was a very strong circumstantial case against Trump.

Finally, at around 4 PM, court was adjourned. I was surprised at how tired I was and stifled a yawn as we walked out of the courtroom.

"Long day?" Nate asked with a sly smile and I nodded.

"The only date I'm keeping right now is an appointment with my chiropractor." One of the older senators (he looked to be about 50 or 60) commented to no one in particular.

I managed a wry smile. It had been that kind of day.