The Peacock and the Penguin

The next morning, Trump's lawyer made his arguments. He was a thin man with thinning gray hair and in his long pressed suit, which looks slightly old-fashioned, he reminded me of a very glamorous bird-a peacock without the color.

The lawyer, a Mr. Sean Hensel, straightened his lapels before striding in front of the jury. In one swift motion he addressed the judge and the Senate. He was to the point.

"Your Honor, I think this trial is highly unnecessary and continue to inquire why it couldn't be settled with one hearing."

"I am not taking arguments directly Mr. Hensel," the judge said quietly, but firmly, "the charges against President Trump are as stands. If you would, please continue with your opening statements."

Upon being addressed Hensel took a step back and seemed to shrink a bit.

"Yes, your honor." Then he cleared his throat and continued. "Members of the Senate, I implore you to consider the position the president is in. He is doing everything he can for this country, and while these measures may seem extreme they are necessary. Everything else you mentioned is in the past and please disregard any arguments the House may make about President Trump's history with women, they are largely irrelevant to this trial."

Down the row from Nathan and I, someone coughed and clear their throat.

Hensel continued:

"I ask you to consider what President Trump has done for this country? He has done many things to attempt to get the country back on its feet after 8 years of the Obama administration..."

"Mr. Hensel get back to your point." The judge remanded sharply.

"My point is these things will take time I only ask that you give the president that. Let him get people and programs in order then this country will run as smoothly as the American people hoped."

While Hensel continued to speak I was making notes, each a rebuttal to one of Hensel's points.

"And in the meantime he sweeps the big issues under the rug..." I muttered.

To my surprise I heard Nathan next to me murmur in agreement.

From where I sat, all I could see of Trump were his broad shoulders and black suit. A few rows behind him sat the First Lady, Melania Trump, she had light brown hair in a topknot and a thin face; her expression alternating between varying degrees of worry and concern. She looked very serious.

I had never spoken to her directly, usually the First Lady did not address the Senate, but she seemed to be adjusting to her position well and taking it all in stride

My attention turned to the judge, like the rest of us, he was listening intently and other than his rebuttal to Hensel earlier, he hadn't spoken.

Finally, Hensel had reached the end of his opening argument. Over the course of an hour, he seemed to have gone in a circle, repeating himself over the same five points.

"The defense rests Your Honor." Hensel concluded, he sat down and the judge nodded. I studied what I could see of him and Trump. Side-by-side like complete opposites, a peacock and a penguin, and the penguin was running the show.

"Ladies and gentlemen thank you for your cooperation and consideration. Court will resume Monday morning at 9 AM, to begin calling witnesses on behalf of the House. Thank you."

Unfortunately, by Monday something else had come up, something that would totally change the course of the trial.