Chapter 4: Ominous Vision

Zelda was running. She wasn't sure where she was running to or even why, but she knew that she was running from something that certainly wanted her dead. She dared not turn her head back to see whoever or whatever was chasing after her. Her eyes were trained ahead of her as she ran through the pitch black, labyrinthine Lost Woods, her feet pounding on the cold ground as rain poured down on her head. She was alone, in the dead of night, with no other living soul anyway near her except for her pursuer. Her voice was caught inside of her throat, so even if she could actually stop panting for even a second, she wouldn't be able to call out for help. The longer she ran, the more she felt fatigue and dread overtake her, but she couldn't stop. She knew that resting, only if it was even for a second, could prove to be fatal.

Suddenly, something wrapped around Zelda's ankle, causing her to collapse to the ground hard. Her voice suddenly back with her, she cried out in pain and fear as she fell, finding that a vine had caught onto her ankle and pulled her down. She desperately struggled to free herself from its grasp, knowing that whatever was following her would be upon her in a matter of seconds. And sure enough, though she couldn't see it in the blackness of the forest, she knew when it had arrived by the shiver that ran down her spine when she heard its voice.

"Princess Zelda of Hyrule…" the quiet hidden voice hissed maliciously. "Bearer of the Triforce of Wisdom… At long last, I have found the holder of the essence of Nayru…"

"W-who… are you…?" Zelda asked timidly, her voice little more than a fearful whisper. Her heart was beating rapidly as she looked all over the dimly lit area for the source of the mysterious voice.

The treacherous voice laughed darkly, its volume starting to rise. "You shall find out soon enough, princess…" it said, and Zelda could feel its presence starting to inch closer towards her, much to her terror. "For in a very short time, I will have all three of you within my grasp… And then, your kingdom will be mine for the taking!"

"All three?" Zelda wondered aloud wordily. The sadistic voice simply laughed at her confusion and violently swept over her. Zelda screamed as a dark and powerful pain struck her. In the midst of it though, she glanced down at the back of her hand, where the mark of the Triforce of Wisdom was flashing brightly and erratically until finally, it went dim altogether, causing the world around Zelda to dim as well.

Zelda woke with a start, gasping as she sat up in bed. Her eyes wide, she looked around at her surroundings, finding that she was in the same place that she had fallen asleep at, the room that her and Link were sharing at the Stock Pot Inn in Clock Town. That was… a dream? Zelda thought, still shaking from the experience. But, it felt so real…

"Link?" Zelda whispered softly, her eyes straining to see through the nighttime darkness of the room. The hero had made a makeshift bed for himself on the floor since the room they were staying in only had one bed, which he had graciously let the princess have. However, as she looked upon it now, Zelda found that Link was nowhere in sight and her natural reaction was on of fear until she remembered what had happened earlier that day. Oh that's right… she thought, calming down. He's probably at the ranch…

Earlier, after the two returned from Great Bay, Link had shown Zelda around Clock Town through the early evening hours. Of course, the princess immediately fell in love with the lively town and all the charm that it had to offer. The place was especially festive though, in accordance with the upcoming Carnival of Time which was to take place in two days. It had been quite late when Link, Zelda and Tatl arrived back at the inn. In fact, it was almost time for Link to head back to Romani Ranch to help Romani like he had promised. He invited Zelda to come along, but the princess declined, as she was tired from traveling and the rest of the day's events and was ready to get some rest. And so, Zelda stayed behind and went to bed as Link and Tatl went off to the ranch.