34

Dave hangs up and doesn't even bother looking up the flights to Seattle. He calls a charter company and charters a private jet. He has debated about buying one in the past but has never felt the need. Now he does.

Once he's convinced the plane will be ready within the hour he hangs up and makes a series of other calls.

"Leo, pack your bags we're going to Seattle and leave in less than an hour." 

Leo is too broad sided to speak, "Yes, boss. For how long?"

"I'm not sure. Pack enough for at least a week." Dave says shortly.

"On it."

When Dave calls Zander it's a different story. "You're in charge until I get back. That includes all meetings."

"What? Where the fuck are you going? You don't have any out of town meetings scheduled."

"Eve called me sobbing. She needs me and she's scared, Zander. I can't remember the time I heard her be that scared. I'm going to kill whoever made her that scared." Even as Dave says this he's checking and packing extra weapons.

Zander immediately changes his tone, "Let me come and help you." His voice is cold and dark like Dave's now.

"No, I need you here to deal with things. I'm going to bring her home this time. I can't- I know I promised her time, but I can't have her be so far from me any more." Dave almost breaks down right there but manages to catch himself. He looks once more at the item in his hand before closing the box and placing it in his pocket.

"There are some major deals scheduled in the next few days, we can't afford to have them go wrong.

"Has the assassin been able to take care of the problem?" The man that had been planning to double deal him in the arms deal has been causing him troubles.

"He'll be taken care of tonight." Zander replies.

"Good. I owe Eve for making me back out of that deal." The man double crossed the next person he had lined up to buy the weapons. Everyone had died.

"Don't worry about things here. Go get Eve and bring her home. You two have a wedding to plan." Eve's birthday was only a few months away. Dave still isn't sure that there will be one.

"Yeah, if she will marry me. Has the event planner got things under control?" Dave had set Zander in charge of the wedding/birthday party. Dave just hopes that Eve will marry him and not hate him for jumping the gun like this.

"Everything's good on this end. We just need the bride and birthday girl to choose what she'd rather have on certain items. We have kept things small, but if Eve would rather have a large event it won't be hard to change it up."

"Good. Now I just have to convince her to say yes." Dave sighs out.

"You will. She loves you, boss. Just don't fuck up like that again or she'll kill you and the bitch you sleep with."

"I know. I have to go now. I have a private jet waiting to fly Leo and I." Dave doesn't wait to hang up and grabs his things and heads out. Hopefully when he comes back he'll have Eve with him where she belongs.

Dave tries to calm down as they travel to Seattle but all he can think about is Eve and how frightened she sounded. He's not even sure she was that scared when he first talked to her after saving her from the Italians.

"Boss?" Leo's voice breaks into his nervous thoughts.

"What is it, Leo?"

"What happened to Eve? Why the sudden need to get to Seattle?"

"I don't know. She called me in tears. She's afraid, Leo, very afraid and she wouldn't or couldn't tell me why. She says I don't need to kill anyone, but at the same time..."

"She didn't say anything else?" Leo asks in disbelief. That's not like Eve. She doesn't get scared, she gets pissed and then she takes her revenge.

"She thinks that I won't want her anymore after she tells me what's going on."

"No, way, you'd never leave her. Maybe kill her if she betrayed you, but you'd never leave her."

"Thanks for your words of encouragement." Dave's voice is sarcasm personified.

"No prob boss." Leo smiles at Dave unrepentantly.

Leo's joking helps to calm Dave down though and he's thankful for it. "We both know that, but whatever has her scared and she doesn't trust me anymore. Now when I need her to trust me the most." Dave in anger hits the side of the plane.

"This wouldn't be a problem if I hadn't fucked up. She'd trust me to be there for her. She wouldn't be living thousands of miles away."

"She also wouldn't have learned to fly on her own. She needed this time. Even if you hadn't messed up. She's far more confident. She is able to go out on her own. She's not afraid of life anymore. Although the way you went about it sucks, this has been good for her.

"Now just don't fuck it up again. I want her as your wife. Then no one will dare fuck with us."

That reminds Dave, "Have the Italians been making more threats?"

They took care of the ones here but the ones in Italy were more than a little upset. When they learned that the others had kidnapped his fiancée they chilled down.

"No, they've completely pulled back. The fact that you didn't bother to take the territory or their clients calmed them down. They won't be coming after you. They have too many enemies in Italy to worry about you here, unless you move on them again."

Dave snorts, "As long as they leave me alone, I'll leave them alone. But if they continue coming after Eve I'll take the fight to them and I won't be alone."

"They know that, boss. They have completely backed off." Leo soothes his irritated boss.

If Dave doesn't calm down he's going to frighten Eve even further.

"You need to get yourself under control, or Eve will be even more frightened. Have you talked to Sergio or George?"

"Sergio said that no one has bothered her, except a few females at work. He said that Eve was easily able to put them in their place.

"George says that she was fine earlier but wouldn't tell him what was wrong either."

"Shit," Leo said.

"Yeah, you could say that again." Dave finally manages to pull it together enough to sit for the final descent at the airport.

There should be a car waiting for them. Sergio promised to have one there that would take them immediately to the hotel.