12

"Don't go, Dave, please? I'm terrified that if you leave I'll never see you again." Eve tells Dave as he gets ready for their attack against the Italians.

Dave impatiently pushes her hand off of him. "I have to, Eve. If I don't retaliate they'll think that they can attack any time. Next time they might just kill you. I can't let that happen. I can't lose you again."

Eve leaves his study and returns to her room and locks the door. She doesn't think that's the real reason he's going after the Italians. At least not the only reason. It's more about pride than anything else.

Eve hears the doors on the cars opening and closing and she knows that they are getting ready to leave. She keeps waiting for Dave to tell her goodbye but as she hears the vehicles starting up she knows that he isn't going to.

Eve falls onto her bed and sobs out her fears. He didn't even tell her goodbye.

They still haven't found out if they have all the traitors. Eve is left with just those from her father's mafia and a handful of others. 

Dave had showed her where the secret corridor could be accessed from her room and she uses it now. She impatiently wipes the tears from her eyes as she leaves the room. She just can't make the tears stop.

She had by now learned the secret corridors as well as the regular house. She makes her way to the security room and situates herself outside of it. She's close enough that she can hear everything that they say.

She holds the gun and knife that Dave had given her. Perhaps she can't always hit the preferred spot but she can usually hit the right target with the gun. As for the knife she's had private lessons. They are teaching her how to be effective even though she doesn't have her sight.

She's pretty sure that she could at least injure someone if she is betrayed.

But she's feeling more than a little betrayed by Dave right now and is having a hard time not crying loud enough to be heard.

She hears the gunfire and holds her hand to her mouth to keep from screaming. Damn, she wishes that she could see what is going on.

"Find that bitch and let's get out of here." She hears a voice say from the control room.

Eve is suddenly cold and very angry. She waits for the men to leave. Once she's sure that they've left Eve slips into the room. She's spent several hours in here learning the defenses and how to operate them, just in case something like this happened.

She sets herself in front of the control panel ignoring the smell of the blood and finding the buttons and keyboard that she needs. Her fingers fly over the keyboard and doors slam shut and lock.

She sends out the alarm to Dave and just hopes that he can get home before she's found and hurt, or worse. She refuses to think of what worse would entail.

Damn she wishes that she knew where her bodyguard was. Is Peter part of this or did he get hurt trying to defend her?

She sends out the order for the sleeping gas. Since she can't tell how many of her men are still standing. 

"Damn bitch, how'd she get in there?" Eve hears a muffled voice say even as something hits her on the head and she falls down into the darkness.

She knew that she'd never see Dave again.

Dave motions for his men to go forward. They rush the location and take out the guards. 

Although everything is going smoothly something is telling him that it's not all that it's supposed to be. He calls them all back. He's learned to trust his instincts completely, it's a trap. He doesn't know how he knows this, but he does.

When they pull back to the vehicles his men start asking him why and that's when they get the alarm that the house has been attacked.

"Shit! The Italians knew we'd be attacking and attacked the house. If Eve is harmed then she won't be the only one." Dave says through clenched teeth.

The men go as fast as they dare back to the estate, but evenso it takes them a good long time to return. Half the time it took them to leave, but to Dave it's still far too long. He remembers how he left the house without even saying goodbye to Eve and he's sick. She tried to get him to listen and he wouldn't. 

If by his not listening to her means that she's now dead or gone he'll never forgive himself.

"Shit," Zander says as they come into view of the mansion. The door is open and one of his men is laying across the threshold, his blood running down the stairs.

"Eve!" Dave yells in fear jumping out of the car even before it comes to a full stop.

Dave starts choking and knows that the sleeping gas had been activated. He goes back out and finds a gas mask to put on before returning back to the house. He heads directly for the command center and the camera's there.

"How?" Dave says ignoring the dead bodies in the room and watching the footage before him. He watches Eve going back to her room when he refused to listen to her. He watches as Peter winces as she shuts her door. He imagines that she must have slammed it pretty hard. 

There are no camera's in her room so he isn't sure just what happened next but can imagine what she did. Not feeling safe she would have gone to the safest place she knew, the secret corridors, not all his men know of them. He can imagine her sitting outside the room and listening to what the guards are saying and doing. He can imagine her fear as she hears the gunfire that kills his men and waiting for the intruders to leave.

Shortly after the intruders leave the camera's pick her up there in the room. He watches as she coolly and confidently activates the defenses for the house and send the alarm.

Then after he notices her activating the gas he sees men come in and say something that makes Eve stiffen. But before she can do anything else she's hit and slumps onto the controls.

The men don't bother searching her or even restraining her. 

Dave smirks, that's going to cost them later, he has no doubt of that. But now, now he has to find out where the hell they've taken her. And he needs to find out if her guard was a traitor after all.