14

"How long, Zackary?" Dave says casually as they walk towards their goal. Dave has his hand on his gun and pointed at Zackary, the safety off.

Zackary jerks slightly, the only indication that Dave is correct in his accusation. "How long what, sir?" Zackary does his best to pass off the words.

"Knock it off, Zackary, Zander, Leo and now Reed know you are the traitor. What I want to know is for how long?" The two men stop walking in the shadow of a building.

"You knew?" Zackary says staggered by the revelation, "And you still came alone with me? I've been working for the Italians before I started working for you. If it means anything, I prefer your style to theirs. I didn't know anything about Eve either or I would have helped you find her earlier. The old boss is sick and dying the young one won't keep any promises he made and has plans for her."

"What kind of plans you bastard?" Dave demands. 

Zackary licks his suddenly dry lips, "I'm not sure but I overheard him once mention something about how much money a blind whore could bring in."

"If they've touched her I'll kill you after making sure that you are hurt in a thousand excruciating ways."

"They won't have time to have hurt her yet. At least not much." Zackary does his best to keep Dave calm.

"They better not. Now, you are going to take me prisoner and have them be distracted by that. You do whatever you have to, to get her out of there. Do you hear me?" Dave demands Zackary answer him.

Zackary stares at him stunned. "You are sacrificing yourself to save her?"

"She's been hurt for nearly ten years. She doesn't deserve to be hurt any more. Make sure that she gets out without further harm or the others will do what I'll no longer be able to. Do you understand?"

Zackary nods no longer able to speak. He takes Dave's weapons and ties Dave's arms behind him tightly.

If Zackary thought that would be enough he is sadly mistaken. Dave head buttes him and does his best to fight against Zackary. He makes sure that Zackary is hurt. It's not enough for his rage that he feels towards the betrayal, but it's sufficient so that Zackary's story will be believed.

By the time their little scuffle is over, Dave is almost unconscious and is having a hard time standing. Zackary had given him a beating and it's most definitely affecting him now.

"Zackary, what the hell are you doing here?" The man guarding the door says as Zackary comes into view. "And what the hell happened to you?"

"We returned to the Estate and Dave here found things a mess. He set out immediately following a short range tracker with just me driving so he could follow the signal." Zackary says and the guards snicker at the sight of the mighty mafia boss nearly unconscious and bound before them.

"Take him to the cells. The boss will be in to see you and him both shortly." One guard says and opens the door for Zackary and his guest.

Zackary tugs Dave forward, "The boss is healthy enough to come here?"

"Nah, you must not have heard. The old boss died and the young boss has taken over."

Now Zackary does stop and Dave unable to stop himself runs into him. "When did that happen?"

"Yesterday, I think it was?" One guard questions the other.

"Yeah, just after dinner. Wasn't the young boss thrilled. Didn't waste any time taking the reins that's for sure." There is a hint of bitterness in the guards words but Dave could only note it in passing before Zachary starts walking and pulls him forward once more.

Once they are out of earshot Zachary whispers, "I've got to get her out of here now."

"She should never have been brought here. Why the hell do they want her so badly anyway?"

"She's forbidden fruit. The young boss wants to fuck her before anything else is done to her." Zackary says in a low voice. "Now there is nothing to stop him."

"Find her and protect her with your life, you asshole." Dave orders angrily.

"I'll do my best. You being here might just make it possible."

Zachary never wanted anything bad to happen to Eve, but he couldn't turn his back on the Italians either. He's a dead man now and he knows it. But maybe, just maybe he can fix this fucked up mess before he dies. At least he hopes that he can.

He prays that the rest of the mafia will be able to make it before anything happens to Eve. There's no way he'll be able to get both Eve and Dave free. He's not even sure if he'll be able to get Eve free.

Why the hell did he keep his loyalties to the Italians? They've gone away from the path of honor and what the young boss has planned... he's just as glad that he won't be alive to see it. Now he just has to make sure to die in a way that neither boss is in charge of. Maybe he can get Eve to do the job.

He likes that idea.

If Eve kills him he doubts it will be painless, but it will be far less painful than what either boss has planned for traitors. Besides he owes Eve that much. He owes her far more than he can repay. She should be home safe in bed or snuggled up listening to a book. Not here wondering when she'll be hurt or more.

"I will protect her with my life, boss." Zachary swears to him and means every word. Eve has won his complete loyalty that had previously been divided.

Zachary leads the now quiet Dave to the cells and is at peace for the first time in years. He knows what he has to do and he knows that he will die for doing it, but he no longer fears death. Perhaps he'll find forgiveness with his last act of life.

"Don't count Eve out just yet, you fool. Just don't startle her when you go to her. You want to protect her not die at least not just yet." Dave warns the traitor.

This once more causes Zachary to hesitate. "How could Eve harm anyone?"

"They didn't search her for weapons and she's been trained to use them even though she's blind. She's still not great with the gun, but she's deadly with the knife."

"And you want to marry her?" Zachary says nearly inaudibly as they come to the cells.

"More than you can believe." Dave says loud enough for his voice to be heard by others.

"Dave? What the fuck are you doing here?" Eve demands in tears. He had been her only hope, but if he's here than he's a prisoner too. Her hope dies out and she gives into the tears that she'd been fighting since she woke with a blinding headache.