24

Eve is lost in nightmares she's trapped and can't get out. She screams.

"Shh, you're safe. I won't let anything happen to you." The voice is someone she knows and is familiar. It brings safety with it and she falls back asleep and the nightmares leave her alone. Although she feels safe, there is something wrong and she knows it, she just can't place what it is. Right now she's too tired to give a damn.

The next thing she knows is an insistent knocking on her door. Eve groans as she wakes up and stumbles out of bed, still in the clothes she was in the night before. She grimaces, one of the staff must have brought her back to her room. She certainly doesn't remember coming here.

She uses the knocking to orient her and feels her way to the door. Crossing the empty spaces is rather scary, but not anything that she hasn't done before. She'll learn the lay out soon enough. The size of the room does surprise her though. It must have something to do with the instructions they received for her.

Eve finally finds the door and opens it, "Yes?" Eve says pained. So this is what a hangover feels like. She can't say that she approves. The alcohol had muted the pain but it had also muted everything else leaving her completely vulnerable. Not a state she wants to experience again. The taste of the alcohol doesn't compete with the fear.

"You desired to be ready by a ten o'clock appointment? It's nine now. I'm here to help you in whatever way you need me." The maid says and Eve steps back. The maid continues, "Pain pills for a headache? and water." The maid can smell the alcohol fumes. 

She feels sorry for the poor girl. It's obvious she is suffering.

Eve grabs the medicine and rips the protective cover off and tosses them back and whines when she can't open the water bottle so easily. Finally she opens it and drinks as much as she can.

"Hey, slow it down or it will all come back. Take it from one that has had more than one hang over." The maid cautions and Eve listens.

"Thank you, forgive my rudeness earlier. My name is Eve. Thank you for this. How did you know to bring it?" Eve is still suspicious of everything.

"I don't know miss, I was just given my instructions to come here instead of clean. I'm to be your maid for as long as you are here. My name is Maria and although I normally leave once my work was done, I was asked to stay here with you if you wish. Just let me know," Maria tells the stricken young woman before her.

"You would leave your family to stay with me?" Eve asks incredulous.

"Well, now, I don't have a family to speak of. The only thing at home is my plants and I can just run over when you're busy and deal with them at any time. So, if you'd like, I'd be more than happy to stay here to help you."

Eve releases a sigh she didn't know she was holding. "I would very much like it. I still have no idea what the room is like so it makes me nervous."

"No problem. I'll help in whatever way you need. I had a niece that was blind so I know a bit on how to help." Maria says chirpily.

But Eve had picked up on something, "Had?"

"Yeah, she was living in Mexico when the really nasty earthquake hit. The place she was living fell to pieces. She was killed by some concrete falling and killing her." Maria's voice is no longer chipper.

"I am sorry for your loss and for bringing it up." Eve feels tears well up in her eyes and curses herself and her weakness for it.

"Thank you, although it happened years ago, it still pains me. She wasn't the only one of my family to die that day.

"But that is old news and we don't have much time if you are to get ready for your appointment."

Eve shakes off her sadness, "I have a cabbie coming to take me to an agency to help me find work. I'll need something appropriate for that."

"Very good, first let's get you to your bathroom to shower and whatever other grooming you need." Maria gently takes her arm and leads her back to the bedroom and to the bathroom there. 

As Eve undresses Maria starts the shower and makes sure the water isn't too hot. "Turn the knob to the right for cold and to the left for hot. Your shampoo is on the ledge to the right and the conditioner to the left. You're shower gel is in the middle." Maria hands her a wash cloth and tells her where the towels are. "I'll just be in the bedroom taking care of that. Yell for me if you need me."

"Thank you Maria, already your help is a relief."

"You are most welcome, Miss Eve. I'll let you know when it's fifteen too. Would you like me to order you anything for breakfast?"

"Yes, some coffee and bacon and eggs please?"

"Very well, It'll take about ten minutes so I'll wait until you are done with your shower to order the food. When you have time I'll go over how I arranged your clothes if you like?"

Eve smiles at the maid, "I'd very much like that." She steps into the shower already feeling less stressed.

She knows that Dave knows she's here, but she's not upset at his interfering. She's actually very relieved. She was more than a little overwhelmed with everything and now, she's starting to feel a little more in control and relaxed.

It won't stop her from leaving once she finds a place to live, but she does feel relief.

She showers quickly and brushes her hair and teeth before slipping on the clothes the maid selected. By the time she's ready her food is as well.

She gratefully eats the food and even more grateful finds that it settles her stomach. Once more she swears that she will never drink again.

By the time Maria tells her she has just ten minutes she finishes eating  and finds her shoes and cane. "Maria, have you seen a hand bag, well it's bigger than most hand bags actually. But it has my wallet."

"Yes, miss, it's by the door, I'll give it to you as you leave." Maria tells her.

Eve more comfortable moving around with the cane comes out of the bedroom and heads to the door. She takes the key card and places it in the hand bag. She is reassured by the weight. Good her gun is still in there.

She slips the gun out and into her waist holster and then makes sure the gun is covered. She finds and slides her knife into her pocket.

"Why do you carry a gun?" Maria asks merely curious why a blind person would pack a gun.

"Because most people would see me as weak and easy prey." Eve smiles brightly, "Don't worry, I know how to use it and I won't be hurting anyone by accident."

"If you say so, miss. I hope you are able to find a job," Maria says once more happy. Personally she doesn't think Miss Eve has much chance, but perhaps companies will be able to see past her blindness and hire her. She hopes so, for the young lady's sake.