27

Dave picks up his phone as soon as it rings. He doesn't bother looking at the ID that ring tone is used only for Zander. "It's too early for your daily report. What happened?" He demands.

He hears a snicker in the background, "Eve had an altercation and I had to step in." Zander says quickly not wanting Dave to ask again. Dave doesn't like repeating himself.

"Is she okay," he swears that he hears even more snickers at the word altercation.

"Yeah, the two that threatened her were dead by the time I got inside." Dave cuts him off before he can go any further.

"Explain," Dave demands.

Zander sighs and gives Eve an irritated look. "Eve was in an electronics store buying a new computer. Two of the local gang members unluckily chose then to make an entrance. One of them apparently liked what he saw in her and was touching her without permission."

"She killed him," Dave states flatly. If she let that insult stand she never would have left him.

"Oh, yeah. Kneed him in the groin so he dropped his gun he was holding on her and the shop owner. After picking up the gun she punches him in the throat. When his fellow perv comes back to see what the holdup was he didn't like seeing his friend dead."

"So she shot him? Was it a clean shot?" Dave now swears that he hears a huff of irritation and smiles to himself. Of course it was.

"Yes, that's about the time I stepped in. She told the shop keeper to call the cops."

"You didn't let her did you?" Dave demands. He's now seriously worried. If the cops find her they'll dig into her history and then she'll be hunted by her father's enemies.

"No, that's when I stepped in. I had to get the local mafia to help with the clean up. Their underboss took a liking to Miss Eve. So much so that he ignored my warnings and insulted her. She punched him hard, he'll have a nasty bruise.

"Eve stopped him from pulling out his gun and then we had a little story time as Eve phrased it." Zander pauses and Dave waits impatiently.

"What do you mean story time," This time Dave is sure that he heard angry muttering in the background.

"Give me the damn phone," Dave hears a slight struggle before someone speaks once more.

His breath hitches as he hears her voice clearly once more, "Bright boy talked about the Italian incident," this time he's sure that Zander scoffs in the background. "I was bored and just wanted them all to leave already.

"I might have caused a problem by claiming some territory and then held a gun on the underboss of the local mafia." Eve finishes up and hands the phone back to Zander.

"You did what!" Dave hadn't expected that. He can actually see her doing it, he just hadn't expected it.

"She's done talking to you. She claimed that neighborhood as her own and when Riley tried to order the shopkeeper she pulled a gun on him and told him to back off. They left after that, but you better call and talk to them. In the story time they found out that Eve is your ex. They won't be happy about things." Zander says and Dave rubs his forehead. That was an understatement. Not be happy? Hell, this could cause irreparable harm to their alliance.

He looks up flights to Seattle and books a first class seat on the first one out. Then he calls his associate and sets up a meeting to talk about what happened. 

His stomach hurts, but he's not sure if it's due to the incident earlier or because he's starting to get an ulcer.

"Dammit, Eve, just come home already." Dave says to the empty room and then leans down on his hands on his desk and fights the tears. He misses her and wants her home so much. Why did he have to go to another woman?

That's a question he still can't answer. The look on her face when he saw her when he came home that day is forever burned into his memory. He lost her trust and something else too. Just the memory of that day makes him ill.

He's lost weight due to not being able to keep any food down even when he forces himself to eat.

The doctor has threatened to have him hospitalized and fed through a feeding tube if he doesn't start eating.

But he just can't. The guilt of what he did and the guilt of how it hurt Eve is too much.

He gets up and heads to his room to pack.

As he heads to the airport he makes a call and hopes that she won't just throw his gift away.

Eve opens the door expecting the two men before her. She moves out of the way and then she isn't expecting Peter to pick her up and give her a bear hug.

"Oomph, Peter, ease up, I can't breathe." She manages to get out and Peter sets her down and lets her go. 

"Sorry princess, I was just a little over excited to see you again."

"Idiot, did you hurt yourself some more?" Eve asks in concern. She knew that he had been on bed rest for his injuries.

"Not really, most of my injuries are just bad bruises, but some of the others are letting me know I shouldn't have done that."

Eve hears a noise, "Thank you, Maria. You have the rest of the night off now. These gentlemen can wait on me if I need help."

"Yes, miss, thank you. I'll just be in my room if you decide you need me." Maria had eaten earlier and is more than happy to be let off now. She'll get to see her favorite show on time for once.

"You trust her?" Peter asks suspicious of the maid.

Eve shrugs, "As much as I trust anyone I haven't had a lot of time around." Which means she doesn't. Peter nods his understanding and escorts Eve into the sitting area.

"Wow, nice place." Peter says and heads to the glass wall that gives a view of the city below. "It's a fantastic view. Too bad you can't see it, Eve." Peter ends that on a sad note. They are good enough friends now that he knows she won't take offense at his words.

"So I've wondered.

"Come sit down, Zander order dinner. I want a chef salad and baked potatoes with extra sour cream. Just water to drink. You all order what you want since Dave is paying for this." Eve smirks.

Both men smile back at her and Peter gives Zander his order as well.