Chapter 42

Chetan Landrum

Harper stayed in the tree line, firing arrow after arrow. I rushed forward at the hulking figures and quickly stabbed my spear through one before they realized I was there. I clicked the button, threw my Tomahawk and watched as it lodged itself in the head of the one Quinn was fighting.

Quinn nodded in my direction and launched herself through the air once more, spinning with her scythe. Nesia's blunt sword seemed to be acting of it's own accord, swerving and flying through any monster in its path.

Cander was slower than his teammates but nonetheless quick. The two thunderbirds overhead were locked in something of a lightning battle and I couldn't tell which one was which. Quinn suddenly severed one of the heads and laughed.

"Tiger men!" she squealed, slamming her scythe into the ground and somersaulting. They both disappeared and a very angry tiger took their place. She growled and tackled three at a time. I pried my Tomahawk out of the head and started forward, seeing another creature creep up on her.

Nesia was faster. "Get away from my sister, you asshole!" she screamed, sword switching to scythe and fighting him back. I ran up the hill where Hero and Luna were fighting the blonde boy. Luna was sporting a nasty cut above her eye and Hero seemed to be limping.

Click

I threw my spear at the boy but he heard it coming and jumped out of the way. Luna winked at Hero and he nodded. I picked up my spear and swung it around, joining the fray.

The boy glanced at Luna and swept his blade towards her stomach, quicker than the lightning overhead.

Luna smiled and I saw the blade go right through her, but no blood came. Her figure disappeared suddenly and the boy stumbled. Luna appeared behind him and kicked him to the ground.

I blinked in confusion. What had just happened? "Manipulation of sight," Hero explained to him. "Her Statem."

Luna kicked the boy's sword away from him and held him to the ground. "Tell us where to find the Last Phoenix," she ordered.

"I told your friend not to meddle," he spat angrily, struggling. "I warned her. It's her own fault. She'll be dead by morning."

"Not my question," Luna hissed, pushing her long sword into the back of his neck. I saw drops of scarlet start to bead on his skin.

"You'll find her dead," he yelled, but he stopped struggling and shrunk into a white rabbit. Luna lost her hold on the small furry creature and it took off into the forest. I clicked the button and threw my Tomahawk after it but I missed.

"The spy," Luna whispered. "Where's Harper?" I pointed to the tree line.

"She's pretty bad off," I warned her.

"She'll stay here then, with the others," Hero decided.

"We're just going to leave them?" I questioned. Luna looked up from putting away her sword.

"They're fine," she responded. "They can take care of themselves. We need to warn the others. And quickly."

Luna shifted into a black wolf and I followed suit. Hero wasn't far behind and soon we were just two wolves and snow leopard.

It took us only a few minutes to make it back to the ruins that was our campsite. Asteria's fire had burned it to the ground. We followed the scent of Lark and Bailey to a large building that looked like factory.

The door stood ajar. I nudged my way inside the flickering hallway. I ran down the hall, the others pounding behind me, and collided with something solid. I shifted.

"Arielle?"

"Have you seen Asteria?" she cried frantically. Her eyes were wide with fear. "Get out of my head, you bastard!"

Oh Chetan, Luna, Hero. How nice of you to join us. You're just in time for your execution.

"Where's Asteria!"

Now, now, Arielle, don't worry. Her death is for the greater good. Take comfort in that. If you wish to witness the dawn of the new age, just continue down the hallway you just left.

"What the hell..." Luna whispered, clutching her head. I chased after Arielle as she rushed back the other way.

We pushed our way through a door at the end and came into a large cavernous room, filled with stars. It would have been beautiful if not for the odd taxidermy specimens all across the walls.

Heads of all sorts of different creatures. Half bird half lion and one of the tiger people we'd met earlier.

A man stood across the room and he was the sort of person you would never forget. You could see veins through his translucent skin, silver hair pulled into a low ponytail, and eyes like blood. He folded his hands, yellow talons resting on the back of the opposite.

"So glad you could all join us," he smiled. "We're just waiting for a few more guests. Aww yes, here's Bailey now. Just a few more minutes, Asteria, and our daughter will be here."

Bailey walked through a side door and looked at me with regret. "Bailey," I warned her. "Go back and find the others. We need to stop this psycho." The man cackled. Arielle looked as confused as I felt.

Bailey crossed the floor to stand beside the man, dragging something behind her.

"Chetan," Luna said in an undertone. "She's the spy." It was Anvi. She was dragging Anvi unconscious across the cement floor.

Another door opened and Samar led a limping Lark into the room. The man turned to Bailey. "You didn't kill her," he accused.

"I tried," but Bailey sounded odd. She was stony and emotionless. Her face was pale and sweaty. I could tell she was in pain, but she was ignoring it.

"Any minute now, and the rest of your friends will be here," and as the man said this, the woman and the blonde boy escorted a troop of the tiger men inside with their friends being dragged with them.

Harper was barely conscious. Quinn and Nesia were struggling to get away from the creatures and Cander looked beaten to a pulp. The rest looked equally battered and bruised.

"There, there, don't look so sad," the man told Lark. She spat on the ground. Your savior is here to deliver.

So, it's kind of a late update today. But technically it's on time because I didn't wait until tomorrow.

Question of the Chapter: Bailey mentioned that Bailey wasn't her actual name. What do you think it really is?

My Answer: NO SPOILERS

See you all Friday!!! Vote, Comment, and Share!!!

I reverse hate you all!!!