Chapter 35

Chetan Landrum

In the next few weeks, Lance had become more civil. They'd made it to the charred village outside of San Diego a few days after the Kelpie problem. Bailey had come out of the water worse than the others.

The demonic water horse had dug its fangs into her flesh more than once. Her right arm was torn into the most, bloodied and tied up with a wet cloth. Lisa was more help than she realized. All that was left of the attack was a thin cut on Bailey's shoulder.

We were headed to Arizona now. We'd taken a bus most of the way, hiding our weapons as best as we could. I looked down at my leather bound journal. I wondered if the others knew where we were headed yet.

A lot of fires had burned down villages all around Arizona so Arielle had narrowed that down to the state where Asteria probably was.

We were all sitting around the campfire now, discussing what to do next. I felt like we were being watched but I didn't mention it. The others were already on edge. We all knew we were close and it was increasing everyone's anxiety.

Bailey seemed the most anxious. She kept glancing over her shoulders and jumping at small noises as though the phoenix was about to jump out at her. I figured the Kelpie attack had scared her.

Currently, we were in a Mountain Park right now. There was a long pause in the conversation when Lark held up her hand, listening intently. I heard it too. There was a rustling farther off in the woods. I reached behind the log I was sitting on and close my hand around my Tomahawk.

I clicked a button and it transformed into a long golden spear. Lark glanced at me and shook her head. Nodding to Harper, she gestured for her to arm her bow. Lark picked up her katana and stepped out of my way. She wanted me to shift, along with Arielle.

I shifted quickly and silently, my senses sharpening to unbelievable lengths. I heard the rustling louder, but I also heard voices, and the thrashing of a weapon hitting a branch.

I growled and padded forward. They were getting closer and closer. Maybe just some hitchhikers.

"Shh!" I heard someone whisper urgently. "I hear someone!" Harper dropped her bow.

"Luna?"

"Harper!" Luna ran out of the darkness and engulfed the freckled girl in a hug. I shifted back, seeing there was no danger. It was only Luna, Cander, and another boy on their team. I think his name was Miguel.

Lance didn't look so convinced. "How did we just happen upon them?" he whispered to me.

Luna must of heard him. "Well, our Quest was to investigate the wildfires and you're looking for the phoenix. There are a lot of connections. Why else would you be near Phoenix, Arizona?"

Arielle slapped her forehead. "Oh my god," she groaned. "How did I not see it? It's so obvious!" Bailey looked a little panicked at their sudden appearance.

"Maybe a bit too obvious?" Bailey pointed out, getting in control of her breathing.

Arielle ignored her. "There have been a lot of fires around here recently," I pointed out. "And I guess that way, it would make the most sense."

"I would've though it was obvious," Luna shrugged grinning.

"But that would be such a giveaway," Bailey argued. "That's like have a turkey dinner in Turkey or something. It's just too good to be true."

"Unless, whoever's holding her captive wants us to find her," Arielle whispered.

"That's just stupid!" Bailey snapped shrilly.