Chapter 6

Harper Magdalena

Perhaps I should explain some things about my parents. My mother, as you know, was raised in a foster home. She was born in the region Catalonia to her parents, August and Sara Magdalena. She grew up in Catalonia to the age of four and was shipped away to the American foster care system, where no one wanted her. Sara and August named her Lidia Magdalena. Her parents were involved in the Catalan Political Movement and died in a hospital. They had been in a car crash. Their last wish was for her to grow up in a country that had succeeded in becoming independent- America.

My father, on the other hand, grew up with his parents in the Havasupai Reservation where he grew to love the Grand Canyon and eventually got a job giving tours there. He met my mother when she started working as a Nature Conservationist in the Grand Canyon. He always said he was fascinated with the way she talked.

"So you fell in love with her words," I'd always tease him.

"I fell in love with the music of her voice," he'd reply. Lidia would laugh and roll her eyes at my dad's romanticism. Sometimes she'd reveal she fell in love with his flute playing but otherwise she wasn't very sentimental which meant I got my appreciation for love from my dad. At least that's what my mom said.

When they got married, my dad took my mom's name so she could honor her family even when they were gone. It was also for me to be connected to my mom's parents. They named me Harper Magdalena. My first name wasn't Catalan or Native American and that's the way my parent's wanted it. It was purely American because they didn't want their children to be any preference either way.

I was brought back to reality as I heard a little boy start complaining to his mother. "But mama! I don't want to leave! I want to see a condor first!" I smiled to myself. Of course he did. Everyone did.

I ducked out of view for a moment and without thinking twice, I launched myself into the sky once more, this time as a condor. "Look, mama, look!" I heard from behind me and I turned towards the boy, flying over his head and circling so he could have the view of his life.

"Oh my word..." his mother gasped.

After the two had left, I once again landed and shifted back to finish eating my lunch. "How the hell..." My head whipped around to see a boy around my age, maybe a year or two older, staring at me like I was an alien. He had dark, wavy brown hair and blue eyes that were framed with black glasses. I furrowed my eyebrow in confusion.

"What are you staring at?" I asked, cocking my head.

"You-you were just a bird!" he cried. My heart stopped.

"You saw that?" The blood drained from my face and I felt like falling off the edge again.

"I must be dreaming," the boy concluded. I was in shock myself. How had I not seen him?

"You're not dreaming," I told the boy slowly.

"You're an alien!" he accused, looking even more horrified.

"I'm not an alien," I replied calmly to him.

"Then... then I have schizophrenia!" he cried.

"That I can't negate but that wouldn't mean that what you saw wasn't real." The boy looked like he was going to faint.

"How the hell is that possible?" I shrugged in answer.

"I don't know," I admitted. "All I know is if it weren't for that I'd have been a pancake nine years ago." The boy looked a bit more disturbed at how I put it. "I'm Harper. Harper Magdalena."

"I'm not telling you my name," the boy informed me. I shrugged.

"I don't really care," I decided and started gathering my things to leave.

"Where are you going?" he inquired instantly.

I raised an eyebrow at him. "Home."

"You live here?" I nodded in answer.

"See you around!" I called to him. He still looked shellshocked and I was sure I'd talk to him again. He'd want to know more. And I realized, I wanted him to talk to me again because this is the most I've ever talked to someone my age in person in a long time.

"Hey, woah, wait up!" he shouted at me. I smiled a bit to myself. "You can't just pull some trick like that and not explain yourself! What the heck was that?"

"I don't owe you any explanations," I pointed out.

"How did you do that?" he persisted. I sighed. He was stubborn but maybe it would be good to tell someone. A total stranger? Why not?

"What's your name?"

"You didn't answer my question," he sniffed.

"Why should I if I don't even know your name?" I snapped. "I told you mine!"

He glared at me and I glared right back until he finally sighed, giving in. "Carter. My name's Carter."

"Well, Carter, to answer your previous question, I don't know how I did that," I explained. He looked beyond frustrated.

"Then why aren't you freaking out like me!" he growled.

"It isn't like it's a big deal!" I fumed, actually quite enjoying the fact that I was talking to him. "I've been doing it for ages! It just happens!"

"How can science fiction just happen?" he argued.

"I wouldn't expect you to understand, or anyone for that matter. As far as I know, I'm the only one and you're the only other person to know."

"You just turned into a bird and you've never told anyone?" Carter looked a bit concerned now. It disconcerted me and I faltered as I looked into his face.

"I-How long are you staying for?" I asked, changing the subject and taking the chance to avoid his gaze. I tucked my hair behind my ear, looking at my guitar case.

"A month," he answered.

"I guess I'll see you around," I stuffed my open hand into my shorts pocket and grabbed my guitar case before turning around again. I heard him jog to catch up with me.

"Look, I'm sorry for freaking out. I want to figure out what all that meant and honestly, maybe we can figure it out together."

"I'd probably freak too. I don't know why it happens but it's my life and I'm just glad someone knows."

"Then I'll meet you here tomorrow?" I nodded.

I couldn't get the last to character photos to load so just know chapter five was from Lark's perspective and chapter six is from Harper's in case you couldn't tell. I've seen a couple authors on Wattpad ask questions at the end of each of their chapters. Let me know if you're at all interested in something like that! :)

I'd say I love you all but I'm a firm believer that life stands for Love is a fake emotion so I'll just say reverse hate.

I reverse hate you all! Vote, comment, and like! Thanks!