Chapter 16

Lark Tanning

I looked around the various racks of weapons, unsure what to pick. The others had all found things relatively easily but nothing was "speaking" to me as they called it.

It wasn't until a faint glow fell onto the gleaming weapons, that I even noticed Professor Aurum standing next to me. "Having trouble?" she asked in an amused tone.

"Yeah," I admitted, smiling sheepishly.

"Don't feel embarrassed," she insisted. "I'm sure you'll find one. Want me to assist you?"

I nodded quickly, shyly. I started walking down the aisles with her, picking up various axes, spears, and swords to see what my match was. I was walking down one aisle, picking up the prettiest weapons to try them and skipping over the plain ones in favor for them when I walked by a particular sword that Aurum was staring at in deep thought. "I wonder if this one would work for you." I looked a bit distastefully at the sword. It was just a simple silver blade, slightly curved.

I'll be the first to admit, I like my things to be flashy. I had a saxophone that was black with gold keys, alright. You get my point. The blade in front of me was too plain. But, out of pure impatience at the fact that I was only one left, I picked it up.

"Well, let's see you use it," Aurum prodded. I swung the blade around me, though it seemed to be leading the way, slicing through the air. It was almost like we were apart of some odd dance and I didn't know the steps, so my partner just led the way.

"Just what I thought," the fox replied. "It's very curious that you would connect with this weapon."

"Why?" I wondered aloud.

"That is the blade of Lief Himura," she stated, as though that would mean something to me. "Oh right, of course. You have no idea who that is." I nodded. "Himura was a Kitsune just like me and he-" she paused, hesitating, "-died years ago. It's interesting that this blade has chosen you. Weapons of Kitsune usually never get passed on to another person."

"If you thought that it would never be used again, why would you put it out for people to try?" I questioned.

"This is also a museum. All weapons must be stored here, but only students may borrow or claim them for themselves."

***

Bergstrom gave us some time to practice with our weapons before we headed on to lunch and the rest of the day getting more things. During this time, Harper summoned me to her.

"So, tonight there's this huge Capture the Flag game at nine, do you want to go?" she asked hopefully.

"Yeah, I'm in," I grinned.

"Cool, it looks like you, me, Bailey, Lance, and Ryker are all going," she informed me. I nodded, looking around the expanse of field, taking in the other students brawling and training.

It was all so odd to think about. One second I was normal and then next I find out I'm not and there's nothing I can really do about it besides just accept it.

Plus my hair was red... I still needed a lot of time to get used to that.

I sighed, smiling to myself. I was going to like it here, I could tell.

Hey, forgot to publish this last night sorry.

Question of the Chapter: I got nothing it's like ten where I am.... comment something stupid or whatever.

My answer: I'm a Lima bean