Chapter 32

Lark Tanning

"Come on, Bailey, time to get up," I informed her. Things had gone okay for the past three weeks out in the woods. Our team was still split down the middle in a silent war but otherwise we made a good... not team.

"Hmm?" The biggest challenge was getting everyone up. The first term we had to get up to get to classes but on Quests we didn't have anywhere we had to be at a specific time. You just finished by the end of June and you passed.

I stayed up most nights researching. With Arielle and Bailey's help we'd found some things out but not much. "I think Arielle's found something," I told Bailey. This woke her up instantly.

"What?" she said anxiously.

"How to make breakfast," I snapped. Bailey glared at me and finally started to get ready. I joined Anvi, Arielle, and Chetan back at the makeshift fire pit we'd made the night before. Arielle had conjured the fire for us and we sharpened sticks to make hot dogs most days. We'd have to remember that for next year.

Anvi had been the most bearable to be around of the people who thought I was a terrible leader. I think this was mainly due to the fact that Lance was so terrible to her. He called both her and Arielle Insignis, which I had learned meant that they were mistakes and not real shifters. It was apparently extremely offensive.

She even liked to help us research, which was nice, because we needed all the help we could get. "I think I've found out where the Dragon Bomb came from," Arielle announced over the sizzling of the bacon she was frying.

Bailey froze in excitement. "Where?" her voice shook in her eagerness.

"I think Ravenbourne sold it." Bailey relaxed and looked a bit relieved at this.

"Why do you think that?" I asked.

"Er-"

"Maybe because she's the one who bought it," Lance pointed out, sitting on the ground opposite Lark.

"Shut it, asshat," Bailey snapped.

"That vendor that you saw Megan investigate," Arielle continued. "The Malik Zorro one that she thought sold the Dragon Bomb? Well, I researched him and it turns out he served time for being a known member of Ravenbourne."

"So you think he might've gotten in touch with his old friends," I concluded. Arielle nodded.

"There's another thing though," Arielle stated. "Ravenbourne members were sighted at some of the wildfires on this coast."

"Well, do we have any idea where to find them?"

"Yeah, Europe?" Lance put in sarcastically. "That's where they mainly stay. It's rare that they make visits to the US."

"The best place to look would be the latest fire," Bailey suggested. "That would be just outside San Diego."

"Well, we best be on our way by noon then," I suggested. "We'll pack up right after breakfast and then pick the best path."

***

"We should probably get out of the woods and find the nearest town and take a taxi to San Diego," Anvi suggested.

"I disagree," Chetan stated. "Remember what happened when we took the taxi here? They looked like they were afraid we would murder them. We should probably stay away from people, who might get suspicious as to why we're carrying around weapons and hiking backpacks. If we stick to the woods we'll look more like normal hikers."

"True, I agree with Chetan," I said. "Maybe we should take this path through the State Park here."

"That's a good idea," Bailey said. "Any other way would have us running into Naga or some other creature."

The Last Phoenix- Book 1 of the Legends of Henge SeriesOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara