Chapter 17

Asteria Glass

I struggled against the constraints around me, frantically trying to break free. I couldn't shift. Everytime I tried, something supernatural would pull me back. That's what scared me the most. Who were these people and how could they simply take my shifting away just like that?

I knew Shireen. She'd been a friend a long time ago. The man was a stranger. I'd never met him as far as I knew. He called himself a Jiuweihu. I'd never heard of it.

I knew that people were looking for me. They have been all my life. Everyone saw me as valuable, whether it was for ransom to the Foxfire Council or sapping my abilities for their own, but I'd always been able to protect myself, until now.

I'd made a stupid mistake. A mistake I could've avoided. They had to have known I'd fall for it, though, otherwise they would have done something trickier. Or maybe they were using reverse psychology. I thought they'd do something more complicated and I was thrown off guard when they didn't.

It's not polite to speculate, the increasingly familiar voice in my head was getting annoying. You could just ask me if you're that curious.

"Get out of my head!" I screamed. The man stepped out from the shadows he was hiding in and laughed at me.

"You don't have to yell," he chuckled. "Someone might get the wrong idea." I felt like gagging.

I decided to play my hand. Who are you?

Ahh, you're starting to learn. Shireen was right about your intelligence. Unfortunately that won't earn you any answers.

Just answer the goddamn question.

Demands won't either.

Answer me!

"Do you really think that you're in any position to be commanding me?" he snapped.

What do you want?

I want you to stop yelling your thoughts. I get it, you have a loud voice.

"I hate you."

"Ahh, but I don't return that. In fact, Asteria, you are quite valuable-"

I know

"-and quite humble I see. You are a key piece in this chess game."

"Oh what is it this time? Am I a sacrifice for your cult? Or are you holding me ransom to the Foxfire Council? Oh, or are you going to use my abilities for evil? That's always a creative one," I laughed bitterly.

The man laughed heartily. "I like your humor, but unfortunately, none of those are correct."

"Why don't you just kill me?" I pointed out. "Wouldn't that solve a lot of problems?"

"Unfortunately for you I need you alive for at most another year," he smirked.

"What happens in a year?"

"You'll be dead," he answered simply. I sighed.

"I'll figure it out one way or another, so you might as well tell me," I informed him.

"And how, exactly, are you going to find out when you're isolated here where not even the Foxfire Council and their little schools of prodigies can even detect you?" I clenched my jaw and turned my eyes away from the man only for him to grab my chin and hold me still.

"And even if you do find out, it won't help you escape, because in the end, you'll do what I want willingly." My blood was as cold as ice when he let me go. "Now, stay." A force stronger than the bonds holding me tightened around me and I realized I wasn't even struggling anymore.

So is this the first we've seen of her since the prologue? I think it is... interesting.

Question of the Chapter: What do you think he wants with her? And who do you think he is?

My Answer: Obviously I can't give that away. But I can say that you'll find out at some point in your life.

Your welcome. Hope you're enjoying the book so far. I think I've done pretty well lately with keeping up with updates.

Don't forget to Comment, Vote, and Share my book with others.

I reverse hate you all,

McKerrod