The Ones You Love

(Vincent's p.o.v.)

I slithered through the forest with Scott in my arms, I was trying to get him someplace safe or into town so I could deal with the strangers in the forest, it was common for them to arrive around this time to try and get me, I learned that if I wear my vest they couldn't shoot my gem and make me immobilized, as I went from treetop to treetop Scott seemed unsettled, I noticed that he seemed to be afraid of hights, so I kept him close and did my best to make him feel safe, soon we reached near a clearing and I saw the strangers, they were obviously looking for me, Scott stopped me from continuing.
"Victoria's not with them." He said quietly, "Where did she go?"
"Who's Victoria?" I asked quietly.
"Do you remember the woman I told you to avoid?" He asked quietly, "It's her, she's obviously had a change in heart and isn't bad anymore."
"I'll look for her later." I said quietly.
I continued on until we reached Apple and Sweet's house, I took Scott in and set him down on the couch, it looked like he was in pain, I went away and found something that Apple used when his arms hurt, I came back and gave it to Scott.
"What's this?" He asked.
"I don't know." I said, "Apple would use it when his arms hurt, so I guess it's a human thing."
He looked at the bottle I gave him.
"Thanks." He said.
I turned around and went to leave.
"Vincent." He said.
I turned back and looked at him, he looked concerned.
"Please be careful." He said, "I don't want to lose you."
"I'll be just fine." I said, "I've dealt with them for many years."
Then I left, I went through the treetops in search of these strangers, as I went around I saw someone laying behind a bush, I flicked my tongue out and could smell blood, I dropped down quietly and began to make my way over to them, once I reached them I grabbed their ankles and pulled them out from under the bush, I saw it was the girl that Scott told me to stay away from me, Victoria I think is what Scott called her, I pulled her closer to me and began to cautiously look at her, she was still warm, and I don't think she's dead, I gently picked her up and began to leave, although I didn't want to take her back to Scott, since I wasn't sure if she was truly safe or not, I went back over to the tree and climbed it, I then took her back to my cave, I did my best to bandage her us and make the bleeding stop, then I began to carry her around, if I was able to make it back to the village I would leave her there, but if I ran into the strangers beforehand I would get rid of them first, it seems they know a lot about Naga's, but now I knew more about humans, I knew what I would need to do.
As I got closer to the village I saw the strangers, human scare easily and they already seemed uneasy, I slithered off and found a hollow tree to put Victoria in, after she was safe I went back to the strangers, I saw they were looking around frantically.
"This place get creepier every year." One said.
"Just suck it up." The other snapped, "Think about how rich we'll be."
One stopped suddenly, he looked around and I hid.
"What is your problem?" The supposed leader asked.
"I..." He trailed off, "I thought I heard a kid."
"You're losing it." The leader said.
They went to continue walking but Joelee came around a tree, she stopped and stared at them.
"What're you doing out here?" The leader asked.
She was dead quiet, silently staring at them with a scared expression.
"You're here for Vincent, aren't you?" She finally asked in her usual quiet tone.
"Vincent?" The leader asked, "I'm afraid I don't know who that is, dear."
She was silent again.
"You can't take the Naga." She finally said.
That's what caught their attention.
"The Naga is dangerous, dear." He said, "We're trying to help you."
She shook her head.
"He's not dangerous." She said, "We are."
"We?" The leader asked.
She just shook her head again, she turned around and began walking into the forest, I noticed that she had been acting strange lately, but I didn't have time for that right now, I focused on the strangers, they continued walking for hours until we got closer to the fussiers, they were looking into the fussiers and around in bushes, I had to get rid of them, but I wasn't sure how.
(Oh... please help me...!) I thought, (Please Spirits of the Forest...)
I looked back down to see the one staring off into some bushes.
"Did you hear it?" The leader asked.
"I heard a kid again." He said, "It sounds like they're over there."
"Just forget about the kids." The leader snapped, "I'm sure that Scott fellow has already conditioned them."
That's when I heard the faint crying... I knew that crying... it was a boy who lived in the forest, the one I would play with late at night near the river, I hadn't seen him in a very long time, not after he gave me the treasure ring, it was an omen of our friendship.
"What in the world?" The leader asked quietly.
"Do you think a kid fell in?" He asked as he looked at the leader, using his head to gesture to one of the fussiers.
"Forget the kid." The leader said.
A faint cry came from the boy... it was my name... it made me feel uncomfortable for some reason.
"Didn't that girl say that the Naga was called Vincent?" The one asked.
The leader was quiet for a minute.
"Alright." He started, "Let's find the kid and get him to lure the Naga to us."
They turned and began to walk off, I knew right were they were walking, they went through some thick bushes and fell, I listened as their screams distanced and disappeared,but I stayed put, soon I saw three kids lean out from behind trees, looking at the fussier they fell into, but they quickly hid themselves again, I had recognized them all, I played with each of them in different areas of the forest, the one thing I found strange was they didn't seem to age like the other kids, they stayed the same.
I slithered off and back to Victoria, she was still out cold, I picked her up but was satisfied that she was still alive, I began to carry her back to Scott, I was just hoping he was alright.
"Mm." She hummed.
I looked down at her to see she was waking up, she opened her eyes and looked around slightly, then she looked at me, I just kept going, she squirmed slightly.
"Please don't make me drop you." I said, "If you fall now you'll get hurt more than you already have."
"Let me go!" She said angrily.
I stopped and looked down at her.
"Do you want some help?" I asked, "Or would you rather die out here like those strangers?"
She furrowed her brow at me, she seemed scared and worried now.
"Wh-what do you mean...?" She asked.
"Don't waste your energy." I said, "Once I get you back to Scott you'll both be okay."
She was quiet she stared at me, I just ignored her and kept going.
"Why did you help me?" She asked.
"I don't know much about Humans." I said, "But I trust Scott's opinion and guidance."
I looked down at her but didn't stop.
"I now look to Scott for guidance on humans." I said, "Since he said you were okay I will help you."
We continued on, she wasn't as scared as she was before, the only thing I was worried about was if Scott was alright.