Having to Decide

(Vincent's p.o.v.)
I was sitting out in the forest silently, it was mid spring now and I hadn't been at Scott's house at all, I didn't need to be there anymore, since it was warm now, I was looking into the river that was lazily carrying sticks and flower pedals past me, I dipped my finger in it and swirled it around, watching as pedals got caught in a small whirlpool I created, I rested my head more and sighed heavily, being alone was never fun, I have no one to talk to, and no one to look after, I didn't want to be alone.
I watched as a bug got caught on the water's surface and try to fly away, a fish quickly surfaced and snached up the bug, it then quickly swam away, I closed my eyes and did my best to relax, but I was a bit too antsy, I let out a disatisfied groan and looked up, there was a deer with her foal by the river, the foal was staring at me while the deer was taking a drink, I was too uncomfortable and dissatisfied to eat anyways, besides, I usually ate the older bucks around this time of year, just to make sure the deer population stayed strong, I flopped down on the rock I was laying on and groaned loudly, seeming to startle the foal, it was quiet as it watched me, I closed my eyes again and just sat there, soon I heard something and I sat up and looked.
Joelee was standing there with a basket, I knew she wasn't supposed to be in the forest, but I had been seeing her a lot more lately, she was quietly staring at me.
"Are you okay?" She asked.
I rested on my arms silently.
"I don't know." I replied, "I've been struggling."
"About what?" She asked.
"Scott." I replied.
She was quiet, "Do you love him?" She asked.
I was quiet.
"What does love mean?" I asked, without all the books Scott had I couldn't look up words on my own.
"If you love someone it means you really, really care about them, and want to spend forever with them." She said, "Although, sadly, some people don't really mean it when they say it."
I was quiet, I looked back down at the water quietly.
I really did care about Scott, he was kind to me and even helped me understand things I never knew, and I did want to spend forever with him, but I didn't know if he felt the same, I laid there silently staring at the water.
"Do you love him?" Joelee repeated.
I looked at the pettles floating through the water.
"I do." I said, "I love Scott, and I want to be with him."
I looked up at Joelee sadly.
"I just don't know if he feels the same." I finished.
She was quiet, she set the basket she had down and climbed over a log that worked as a bridge over the water, she came over to me and sat down.
"Have you told him you love him?" She asked.
"No..." I replied.
She gently pat my back.
"You should try and tell him." She said.
I lowered my head sadly, pulling my tail closer to me.
"What if he doesn't feel the same?" I asked as I looked up at her, "Or if he doesn't mean it if he says he loves me back?"
She gave me a weird look.
"You think too much." She said.
I was quiet as I stared at the water.
"Maybe your right." I said.
She smiled brightly at me.
"Well, all I can do now is wish you good luck." She said.
She got up and walked back across the log, she picked up her basket and walked away, leaving me to my own thoughts.
For about an hour I sat silently staring at the water, how should I tell Scott I love him? And how should I react if he rejects me? There were still so many questions on my mind, and I felt they couldn't be answered without telling, but I was scared.
If Scott didn't want to spend forever with me, but accepted anyway, it would be disastrous, or if he just rejected me...
My chest hurt at just the thought, but I knew I had to tell, I got up and slithered off to my cave and sat just inside of it, resting on a rock that was the perfect size for me, I let my head rest on my arms and closed my eyes, I was always able to think better with my eyes closed, when I heard a sound I sat up and looked out of the cave, soon I saw Scott come into view, I held my breath as I slithered farther into the cave, I wanted to see him again, I just wasn't expecting it to be so soon.
"Vincent?" Scott asked.
I didn't move or make a sound, he was silent as he stood there, then sighed heavily.
"Where did you go...?" He asked quietly, "Oh I sure hope your okay."
He turned and ran off, I felt a little bad for not calling out to him, but I couldn't right now, I wandered off into my cave and went over to a large pile of treasure, I sat around it and just looked at everything I had, soon I picked up a shiny ring with a red jewel on top, it glistening in the low light, I had been given the ring by a boy I met out in the forest, he told me that whoever wore it was a treasure.
I held it close to my chest, if I were to give this to Scott and tell him what it meant maybe he would be okay with being my treasure, everything in this cave didn't matter as much as him, but I didn't know how he would react.
I went to another exit that lead off a cliff, I heard Scott shouting and I knew he was in trouble, so I began to go to his rescue.