Returning Home

(Vincent's p.o.v.)
I opened my eyes to be wrapped around something, I let go of it and looked to see it was Scott, he was still asleep, I went to the first floor and got on the couch, I was both scared and worried about what we'd find back at the farm, and I didn't really want to find out, but I had to know, I turned to the door to the outside quickly when I heard a sound, I slithered into the corner and coiled myself to hide, I stared silently at the door, the noise kept happening, Scott came down soon with one of the animal hides, he looked at me, then quickly threw the hide over me, I flintched at the sudden act, but didn't move, I then heard him open the door.
"Yes?" I heard Scott ask.
"Hey, are you okay?" I heard someone ask, I didn't recongize them.
"Yeah, I'm just fine." Scott replied, he sounded worried, "Why?"
"Well, it's, um... that day, you know...?" They asked, sounding kind of sad.
"I know." I heard Scott reply, sounding a little sad, "But I had something else planned today, and it'll hopefully keep my mind off it."
"Alright." The person said, "If you need anything today just come see me, okay?"
"Alright, I will." Scott said.
I heard him close to door, I waited a moment before I moved the hide and looked up at him, he was standing next to the kitchen.
"That day?" I asked, "What does that mean? What happened?"
Scott was quiet as he looked away from me, I could tell he was pained.
"Today's the third aneversery of my mother's death." Scott said, I could tell he was trying not to sound upset, "It's... not that big of deal."
I was quiet as I slowly made my way over to him.
"So you were alone?" I asked.
He nodded.
"I have been for five years." He said, "She got real sick two years before she died, and spent all her time at a hospital in another town, outside of the forest, I wasn't able to see her much."
I was quiet as I sat behind him, he went into the kitchen and I went to the couch again, I sat in silence as I waited, soon Scott came back and came over to the couch, I moved my tail so he could sit, he had an apple and another fruit with him, I had seen it before but never knew what it was called, I called them false apples, he also had a flat redish thing, I didn't know what it was.
"What is that?" I asked as I pointed at it.
"Jerky." Scott replied, "It's dried and smoked meat."
"Smoked?" I asked.
"You know the cloud that comes from fire, right?" Scott asked.
I nodded.
"That's called smoke, people can use it to cook food, although it can take a while, but it can also dry food out, so it lasts longer." He said, he held it out to me, "Do you want to try."
I gave it a weird look, he broke off a piece and held it out to me, I cautiously took it, I examined it.
"It's not dangerous." He said, he took a bite of his piece, "See?" He asked, holding it up to me.
I cautiously ate it, it tasted strange and was tough, I didn't know what to do, I looked up at Scott with a distressed look, he chuckled at me.
"You can just swallow it whole." He said.
I just swallowed it, I couldn't help but shudder, he laughed at me.
"I'm guessing you'd prefer to just eat it fresh, huh?" He asked, a smiled on his face.
I nodded, he ate the fruit and jerky then got up.
"So I guess it's time to get going." He said.
I nodded, I got up and began to head to the door, I stopped and turned to Scott.
"Um..." I trailed off, "I need to check my territory, first."
"Okay, I'll just follow you." He said.
We left and I went to my cave first, I told Scott to wait for me outside, just so I know he doesn't take anything, I checked over my cave before I went back out, I then took Scott around my territory, I had too keep a close eye on him, especially since I knew there were large fussers around, and I would have to admit, I had even fallen into them, as we made our way through the forest I began to get anxious, we were getting closer to the farm, when we reached the orchid I stopped, Scott came over and gently placed his hand on my back.
"Are you okay?" He asked.
I was quiet, I looked down at him.
"I don't know..." I said quietly.
I was feeling overwhelmed with emotion, I looked away from him and kept my head low, he pulled me into a hug, pressing my face into his chest.
"I'm sure everything will be fine." He assured me, "It'll be okay."
I hugged him back, though I fought back my tears, once I regained my confidence I let him go, we both went to the farm house, it looked peaceful and abandond, just like it has been for about 7 summers or so... hopefully, I hesitated, but Scott's gently touch eased my fears.
"I'm right here with you." He said soothingly.
We went to the house, I reahced for the door knob but froze, my heart racing, I pulled away.
"Do you want me to?" He asked.
I nodded and moved away, he cautiously opened the door, he went in and I followed close behind, the first thing I noticed was the fact that it was cute, much like Apple and Sweets themselves, Scott began to look through the house as I went into the room with the strongest scent, although it was still very faint and hard to find, it was nearly gone at this point, I gently pushed the door open and peeked in, it looked like something was lying in the bed, I went over, my fears becoming overwheling, I froze as I stared at the bed, I quickly slithered back, emotions washing over me, I kept backing out of the room, I flintched when something touched me, I turned quickly to see Scott, he looked worried.
"Vincent?" He asked.
I moved away from him, I looked back at the bed, Scott went over, he looked back at me, I then left the room quickly, I slithered off to another room, I sat in the corner in silence, not sure what to do now, soon I felt a hand on my shoulder, I knew it was Scott, it felt warm and caring, I moved away from him but he pulled me into a hug.
"I'm sorry you saw that..." He said quietly, "But we should give them a proper burial."
I looked up at him, tears streaming down my cheeks.
"Burial?" I asked, "What's that?"
"We dig a big hole, then put them in it, human do this to the... deceased," He tried to explain, "It's common courtisy."
I was quiet as I looked away.
"What will you have me do...?" I asked quietly.
"Can you dig?" Scott asked.
I nodded.
"Then go find a spot for them, someplace they liked to hang out at, someplaced they'd like to spend eternity." Scott said, "I'm going to get them ready."
I just nodded, after Scott walked away I went outside, I went over to thier favorite tree, Sweets liked to sit underneath it with Apple, and they'd talk for hours, they loved this tree very much, I then began to dig some holes, each of them in the spots they usually sat, soon Scott came out, he looked in at me.
"That's good." He said, "Can you come out and bring them here?"
I climbed out of the hole, I then looked at him.
"I can't really carry them, but they're wrapped up in sheets, so you don't have to see." Scott said.
I didn't want to, but if it was a human custom then I would follow it, for their sake, I went inside and found their bodies in the room, I carried them out one at a time, putting them in their desiganted aread, where they would sit, Sweets on the left, Apple on the right, after that Scott looked at me.
"What was your favorite thing about them?" He asked.
I was quiet as I looked down at the holes, my heart was in my throat, I felt like I wouldn't be able to speak.
"They..." I trailed off, "Were very kind to everything... and loved everything... even though they were scared they still loved and cared for me..."
My tears were out of control now, I was close to the ground and a near sobbing mess.
"I just wish I could thank them." I nearly whispered.
Scott pulled me into a hug.
"They know..." He said quietly, "They knew about your gratitude a long time ago..."
I wrapped my arms around Scott, he rubbed my shoulders and back as I cried, soon I wrapped my tail around him too, he reminded me a lot about Apple, they were both very kind and caring of me, and were always doing their best to protect me, once I calmed down enough we placed the dirt over them, Scott grabbed a small tool of some sort and went over he looked at me.
"Who was buried where?" He asked.
I was quiet.
"Sweets' on the left." I said quietly, looking away from him.
It was quiet, I looked over to see he was carving their names into the tree, Sweets' name on the left, and Apple's on the right, underneath them he cared the words "Thank You."
"There." He said as he got up, "Now they'll always be remembered."
I went inside, I went into the living room and climbed onto the couch, I buried my face into the softness of the couch, I cried heavily, soon I felt a hand on my back, rubbing me and doing it's best to comfort me, I reached up and coiled my tailed around him, I then pulled him close, really, he was the only one I had, adn I wanted it to stay that way.