“How could I forget to thank your culinary talents” I laughed .

Rian was a rock , there was no simpler way to put it . He was the sensible one you could lean on in rough times , which I was incredibly grateful for . He knew exactly what to say to make me feel better .

The morning of the trial seemed to dawn earlier than all the ones leading up to it , with the sun ignoring my thick curtains and finding it's way directly onto my face . I was about to turn over when I remembered that it was Tuesday , and for the second time in the past week I felt like getting sick . This time , though , I swallowed the sensation and got out of bed without even realising . I took a hot shower and got dressed in the most respectable clothes I own .

Alex was waiting downstairs with some breakfast , but I couldn't eat anything .

“Too nervous” I said , pushing the food away from me . He pursed his lips .

“Have a drink , at least” He said , passing me some orange juice . I nodded , too anxious to argue , but didn't touch it .

“Feeling good about today ?” Rian asked hopefully when he came downstairs . Alex's answer was obviously “Couldn't feel worse” , but he was trying to be a tough guy .

“It's gonna go well” Alex confirmed confidently .

I tried to say something in agreement but my mouth dried up . I nodded instead .

When Pommie arrived for breakfast , she stayed her silent self , but discreetly held my hand under the table . I squeezed it back , glad of her simple but effective support .

Rian drove us to the courthouse . The trial was to held at one , and we were there in plenty of time . I sat in the hallway outside the courtroom , playing with fingers and waiting anxiously . John and Mr Sullivan arrived promptly , and before long the doors were unlocked and we were allowed in .

I'd watched Judge Judy , but this place was almost nothing like that . Sure , there was the witnesses' chair , and the judge's little box , but it was way smaller than any courtroom I'd seen on TV , and there were no rows of benches for people to sit on , just a desk that edged around the whole room , with sides marked for each defendant .

Alex , Mr Sullivan and I sat in the chairs to the left , the others were left empty for my father and his lawyer . Alex sat down quickly , as if as soon as his back hit the seat the trial would be over , and I would be allowed to come home . I took the seat beside him , rubbing the tips of my fingers together nervously .

"Shan't be long now " Our lawyer told us , "And we'll start ."

A clatter and a bang made us all turn around , and I saw my blood father for the first time in fifteen years . I hated to say it , but I´d been slightly looking forward to this moment , when I´d be able to meet my father . I wished it hadn't been in this scenario .

He had thich , black hair - it seemed that I´d inherited that from him . His eyes were chrome coloured , which made me uneasy . There were the kind of eyes which you couldn't tell the colour from the pupil , and that creeped me out . He had a heavy build and a hard face . He was handsome , I realised . But he didn't look like a dad .