Chapter 8

I woke up the next morning before Cait came round to call us . I slipped across the empty hallway to the bathroom , and took a much-needed shower . I didn't take to long , because I knew that people were already waking up and within five minutes they would be banging the bathroom door down .

When I got back to my room , I got dressed and threw a brush through my hair . It was beginning to go curly , it always did after I wash it , but I didn't mind . I was in the mood for some curls today .

That sounds so lame .

I rushed down stairs . Apparently , I was up well before anyone else,as the kitchen was empty.

I made myself some cereal , and choked it down . I wasn't in the mood for breakfast , but once I got to school it would be over an hour and a half before I could eat something , and by then I'd be starved .

“Hey Hazel” Tashie said , coming into the kitchen . Sitting on her back was Fay , her little sister , in case you forgot .

“Hi Tashie , Fay” I said. When I was finished with my bowl , I put it in the sin and rinsed it out , then put it into the dishwasher .

Tashie sat Fay down on the counter , then began looking in presses for bowls and cereal .

“Aha !” She said triumphantly . “Choco Bites !”

I wrinkled my nose . Usually I love any type of food , but this junk was made up of pure fat and sugar It was so sweet that bees would faint at the sight of it .

“You like that stuff ?” I asked in disbelief .

But Tashie shook her head . “No .It's for Fay .”

“Where's yours ?”

She shrugged . “I'm not hungry .”

I nodded vaguely .

“Morning ,girls !” Cait said , as she walked inside .

“You're all up early . Morning , Fay “ She continued , ruffling Fay's hair .

Then she looked at me , and did a little double-take . “Hazel ? What are you doing up ?”

I laughed . “I didn't realize I was that much of a heavy sleeper “ I joked .

Cait shook her head . “It's not that . But you are pretty lazy . No , I mean you don't have to go to school today . John is collecting you so you can discuss the Second Chance thing .”

“Oh “ I said . “You could have told me that last night , I'm all awake now . When is he coming ?”

“About ten , I'd say .”

I nodded . “Well , I don't think I can go back to sleep , so … would you mind if I went out ?”

“Sure , where ?”

I shrugged . “Could I catch a lift with you into town ?”

Cait nodded . “As long as you keep your phone on you at all … you don't have a phone , do you ?”

Shaking my head , I blushed . I used to have a phone , but it had gotten crushed in the accident , and now it was just a few mangled pieces of metal and plastic . I'd thrown it out almost as soon as I'd arrived here , so I imagined it would be in some dump right now .