Chapter 11

Then next two days passed quickly . I kept expecting something to happen , something to come up , that would prevent me from going . But , Friday morning arrived , and the adoption was still on .

I hadn't talked to Alex . That surprised me , I figured that by then I would have . I thought he would have called or something , but I received no word from him .

I'd said goodbye to Darren and Emma with promises of keeping in touch . They had both scrawled their cell phone numbers on my arm with Sharpie , along with Tashie and Sasha . She had surprised me , I didn't realize she had liked me enough to do that .

Cait had told me I wouldn't have to go to school on Friday , but would have to get up at the normal time in order to catch the flight . John was collecting me , and bringing me to the airport , where we'd meet Sam , Charles and Pommie . I hadn't talked to them since Tuesday , so I was excited to see them again .

I got up and took a shower , quickly before the rush , then got dressed . My stuff had already been packed , I'd done it yesterday , but I searched in my room for anything I'd left behind . It was empty now , as bland as it had been when I first moved in .

“Hazel ?” Cait appeared at my door . “John will be arriving in five minutes . Do you want some breakfast , or ..”

“I'll pick something up at the airport” I told her , picking up Steven's guitar case and one of my bags . Cait took the other , and we brought them both downstairs to the hall .

“Hazel !” Tashie said , running towards me. She hugged me tightly .

“Don't leave without saying goodbye” She mumbled . I smiled .

“I won't “ I said , hugging back .

Then I felt a pair of arms around my legs .

“Hi Fay” I said , bending down to her eye level . She grinned at me , and I loved it . I loved her smile , any child's smile , because it has so much joy and happiness , there is no room to be bitter . Her smile was infectious , so I grinned back at her .

“I'll miss you both” I said , only realizing when the words came out of my mouth just how truthful I was being .

John squinted when he saw my baggage .

“Is that all you have ?” He asked in disbelief , picking one up in each hand . I grabbed Steven's guitar , and followed him outside .

He threw them into the trunk , and then got into the driver's seat .

“Come on !” He said .

I jumped in the passenger seat and he began to drive .

He talked to me about anything and everything , appearing eager to close the silence ,

We arrived at the airport in good time . It seemed almost too good , I began to feel uneasy , as if something bad was gong to happen .

We made it to the check-in desk fine .

“Hazel Reede “ John said to the lady behind the counter . She nodded , tapping a few things into her computer .

“Ticket ?” She asked , holding at her hand . John gave it to her readily .

She scanned it , nodded , and gave it back to him .