Chapter 26

Nikki , Pommie and I sat with our legs swinging off the stage , as the All Time Low crew rushed around us , preparing for the next show . It was never-ending work with these guys , as soon as one concert was done it was pack everything up and leave , then early the next morning the cycle started again . But they found ways of entertaining themselves , like Evan messing with Alex's mic during live shows to make him sound like the fourth chipmunk .

But we weren't just sitting around , we were preparing too . It was our first rehearsal for our performance at the end of the tour , which was only in a few weeks . Grieco had agreed to play some drum parts for us – on the compromise that everything else was to be ready before he started practising with us . So I fidgeted with the guitar on my lap as Nikki read over the lyrics one last time .

“Okay” She nodded , putting them down . “I think I know them off by heart now .”

“Let's go then” I said , positioning my hands for the intro – that I had meddled with and was now extremely proud of .

Pommie nodded her head to the acoustic notes , and an easy smile slid across her face as Nikki began to sing . Apparently , she'd been hiding quite the voice .

“Sunlight streaming through shady palms , and I awake to a nightmare . My heart is beating , my breath is lost and everything looks frightening” Nikki sand , her eyes closed .

“Cries of war rise around me , gunfire burns my ears ...”

Our first rehearsal went well , apart from me messing up some guitar bits and Nikki forgetting some lyrics .

“Sup , guys ?” Alex said , sitting down beside us .

“Nothing . Just practising” Nikki said , grabbing the sheet and looking over it again .

“Awesome ! Can I hear ?”

We nodded , but as we were about to play Alex's phone rang . He took out and turned it off quickly , smiling .

“You have all of my attention” He said .

“Alex !” Matt yelled , when we were halfway through the song . “Phone !”

“Can't it wait ?” Alex said , “I'm kinda busy .”

“It sounds pretty important” Matt replied , tossing him the cell . “It's John , remember , the social worker ?”

“Right” Alex grunted , grabbing the phone and putting it up to his ear . “Hello ? Speaking .”

Matt looked at us all , his eyes hovering especially over me . He smiled quickly , not a genuine smile – more the smile that your parents give you when they're about to tell you a family member died .

“I wonder what's up” Nikki said as he walked off . I nodded in agreement .

“Yeah , he's acting kind of weird , isn't he ?”

Alex returned looking frustrated and scared and as if all his nightmares were coming true .

“Well ?” Matt asked cautiously .

“Shit” Alex replied , “Shit , shit , shit , shit , shit .

“Anyone else notice it smells like shit in here ?” Rian joked . Alex glared at him , and he raised his eyebrows . “Okay , this must be seriously bad news .”