Chapter 24: Tests

SRRY TOOK SO LONG..

____________

Chapter 24: Tests

Carmens Point of view

“So Lily…I was thinking about Joe the other day and I was just wondering…” I said hesitantly, sitting on her bed while I watched her brush her hair in the bathroom. I saw her hand jump when I mentioned his name.

“I don’t want to know him. Father or not, he’s an ass and he should just go to hell,” she said firmly, staring straight into her mirror.

“Yeah, but think of it this way; he’s trying. Better late than never, right? He’s making an effort at least,” I said calmly, trying to figure out a way to appeal to her.

“Maybe so, but that doesn’t mean I still don’t think he’s a jerk for leaving my mom and I,” she said curtly.

“Okay yeah he’s a horrible man for doing that, but come on. He’s trying to get to know you. Don’t you even want to know if he really is your father? At least do that; you’ll regret it if you don’t. You can disown him after getting the results,” I said, coming up behind her. I bit my lip thoughtfully for a moment before I took the brush from her hands, the brush she was practically yanking through her hair.

“Look Lily, your mom…she would have wanted you to be happy. And right now you’re not. I’m not going to pretend to know what it’s like to be in your situation, but I’m pretty sure your mom would want you to at least find out, open your options a little.” I ran the brush through her hair easily, watching the blonde strands smooth out. “She would have wanted you to experience everything you can, have no regrets. But if you don’t give Joe a chance…you’re going to regret it. I know you. You’ll be thinking about it in a while from now, wondering if he really was your father or not.”

“I don’t know Carmen. I’m happy with my life, with your Dad. Sometimes I forget he’s not my dad, but I still love him as if he was. I just…I don’t want things to change. I don’t want that guy to come in and start acting like a father when he’s not. He left; that’s not what dad’s do.”

“No one’s saying you have to call him Daddy, or that you have to act like family. Just give the guy a chance, you never know—you might just change your mind once you get to know him better,” I said gently, putting the brush down on the counter before I stood next to her. “Really, you’ve got about four different options. Option one; tell him to go to hell. Option two; find out if he’s your dad, if he is you keep him around. Option three; he is your dad but you tell him to go to hell. Option four; he’s not your father and all of this can go away.”

“Hmmm, it’s still a really big decision.” She said, staring at herself indecisively in the mirror.

“Yup.”

“No matter what the result is, it’s going to change everything.”

“Yup.”

“I’m probably not going to like what happens.”

“Yup.”

“So you’re coming with me.”