Chapter 5: Setting Things Right

-Carmen Silvers POV-

Monday came and I could finally relax. We went hunting again Sunday afternoon, just to sure that when Monday come it would be as easy as we could make it when he was surrounded by humans. It took a long time but he finally gave in and found a squirrel and a rabbit. Of course he said that I tasted a million times better than they did.

Which made me laugh; I mean come on. I was a werewolf and I apparently smelled 'unappealing' to vampires yet I taste good? Kind of strange.

Anyways, even though I was a little more relaxed now that he was starting to get okay with feeding and that he came to school I hadn't seen him all morning and I was anxious as I walked into the cafeteria to see if he was there.

He wasn't.

I sighed and started towards my usual table when suddenly someone grabbed my arm. Out of instinct and reflex I whirled around, twisting my arm out of the person's grasp before I grabbed the arm and twisted it.

"Let go of me you crazy bitch!" a girl cried.

I let go of the familiar blonde girl and growled, "What do you want Caroline?"

"Where's Austin?" she hissed at me, rubbing her arm where I'd grabbed her.

I didn't feel bad for hurting her; it's her fault for sneaking up on me. Besides, I hated the girl so I was kind of happy about that.

"Like I know," I snorted before I continued to my table. I was just about to sit down at my table when she caught up again.

"Oh come on! I know you know! Friday night I saw him go and talk to you and then you both went outside," she snapped at me, "What did you do with my boyfriend and where has he been all last week and today? I know you know!"

"Carmen!" a voice said easily, an arm winding around my waist. My eyes popped as Austin grinned down at me before he looked up at Caroline, "Sorry for my unscheduled absence; I was sick. Stomach flu."

If looks could kill I'd be six feet under because of Caroline's glare at me. My Pack was just staring with their mouths hanging open in shock at his arm around my waist.

"I'm glad to see you look better now," she said, flashing him a million dollar smile, ignoring me, "Want to come eat at my table and then maybe go for a private walk outside? You can come over tonight; my parents are on vacation all week which means I have an empty house."

It took everything I had not to lunge at her; how dare she hit on my soul mate. Austin's arm tightened its hold, effectively holding me in place. Thank God for his super strength or there would be little bits of Caroline all over the cafeteria.

"Actually Caroline, I'm going to have to refuse. On all counts," Austin said easily, pulling me slightly closer, "I'm afraid that I'm not interested actually."

"Not...interested?" she said slowly.

"Sorry but no. I was...different before. I'm better now though and I realize you and I never would have worked out," he shrugged, "Sorry for wasting your time."

She let out an aggravated growl, "You're kidding me right?"

"Not at all," he shook his head, smiling apologetically, "I'm taking a break from relationships and stuff until things...calm down a bit."

"Yeah right, you just want to date her," she spat angrily, pointing a finger at me.

"She has nothing to do with it Caroline, I'm just not interested in you. That's it. Besides I said I'm not going to be in a relationship for a while...which means even if I wanted I wouldn't date Carmen" he said, giving her a 'duh' look.