Chapter Ninety-One: An Intriguing Little Social Media Item

Monday after Easter.

I missed my first class. I arrived in campus at about the end of my first class because I overslept.

I really did not want to come back to the metro last night because I know how Easter Sunday traffic is: it's like descending into hell for three hours from Los Baños all the way to SLEX and through South Super then of course; EDSA —the daily road to calvary. But Aunt Agatha was to be driven back ergo she insisted na sabay na kami pauwi.

I was hoping that Jake would show up. But 2:30 PM turned into 3:30 PM then the 6:00 PM oracion was struck by the church bells, and then dinner was served promptly at 7:00 PM; but Jake was a no-show. I dreaded the idea of riding that big bike back to the city but if I really had to, I could.

And as I packed my little bag, I would look out of my window to see if papunta na nga si Jake or something. He hasn't been answering my messages and his phone just keeps on ringing. I gave up by the 39th missed call. I put my bag near the edge of the stairs para ready na if ever pababa na kami ni Auntie.

I said goodbye to Lola Doray as she lay in bed watching some old movie playing on her flatscreen TV.

Doña Doray: Kailan ka uli uuwi, hijo?

Sean: I'll know this coming week, Lola. Midterms na po kasi and I have a lot to catch up on with my studies.

Doña Doray: Si Jake ba sasabay sa inyo?

Sean: I don't think so, Lola. Baka nasa Tita Agnes pa siya 'cause di pa siya nabalik eh. And he may ride his big motorcycle back so baka later pa siya lumuwas or something.

Doña Doray: Saan nga ba uli nag-aaral yan si Jake?

Sean: Sa UP Diliman po, Lola.

Doña Doray: Malapit lang siya sa school mo, di ba?

Sean: Yeah, 10 minutes or so on a good day along Katipunan Avenue.

Doña Doray: May baon ka pa, hijo?

Sean: Opo! I still have my allowance naman.

Doña Doray: May gusto ka bang bilhin? Cualquier cosa que quieras. [anything you may want]

Sean: None naman, Lola. Why?

Doña Doray: Gusto mo ba mag-shopping? Basta, kung may gusto ka, sabihin mo lang sa Lola. ¿Entiendes?

Sean: Yes, Lola. But for now, I don't want anything new naman.

Doña Doray: Bueno, take this. Dagdag mo sa allowance mo.

She reaches for a white envelope which she laid on top of her side table.

Sean: Lola, I have my allowance pa nga, di ba?

Doña Doray: That's from your Mama, this is from your Lola.

Sean: I'm so lucky to be so spoiled.

I tell her as I reach over to give her a tight hug.

_ _ _

Since I was already late and my next class won't be for another hour, I got off at Leong Hall so I could just make tambay at the Rizal Library. The study hall on the 5th floor is a perfect place to catch a nap.

By the way, if you happen to pass by the Reference Section on the first floor, you'll notice a librarian there. Hindi mo siya mami-miss because he's kind of cute and he's tall plus he's like chiselled —like may muscles and he's like bulging in the right places. Basically, he's a hot librarian. I heard some of the students talk about him. They say he used to play college basketball for UST; and you should see his Instagram. He was part of the reason why I made tambay sa Rizal Lib a lot last semester.