[8]

Sid and I walked into the small town station with Dewey and Sheriff Burke in tow

Sid and I walked into the small town station with Dewey and Sheriff Burke in tow. They sat us in the middle of the bullpen next to a small desk while they tried to get a hold of our dad "are you sure you don't need to go to the hospital?" Sidney asked as I grimaced when I moved.

"No hospitals," I whined, holding a hand to my ribs. "I just want to get out of here," I huffed, seeing officers looking over in our direction as I rolled my eyes. By now, Gale Weathers would have released some kind of report about our attack.

Minutes later, Dewey approaches, looking put out, "Did you reach our Dad?" Sidney questions as Dewey shook his head, confused as he sat by us.

"You're sure it was the Hilton?" I nodded in confirmation remembering how many times dad had recited it to us 

"At the airport."

Dewey sighed, running a hand through his hair. "He's not registered. Could he have gone to another hotel?" I looked at Sidney as she shrugged 

"I don't know. I guess," I frowned. How could they not find him he's been gone all day.

"We'll find him, Don't worry," Dewey told us confidently, but his expression was the exact opposite. 

"We know," Sidney said, giving Dewey a polite smile just as Tatum walks over and sits with us. 

"you two, okay?" Sidney gave Tatum a nod as she accepted her best friend's hug.

 "Peachy," I muttered, crossing my arms as the sheriff's door opens and Billy is being led out by two officers "Billy," I whisper, giving him a sad smile knowing there was nothing I could do to help him.

Sidney lowered her head so she didn't have to see him. Tatum sees this and storms up to her brother and another officer, "Hey Dewey. Can we go now?" she asked him impatiently, tapping her foot.

 "Hold up a sec..." the two officers talk lowly to each other, making Tatum huff like a spoiled brat. 

"Goddamnit, Dewey!".

Dewey turns to her, his face red with embarrassment. "What did Mama tell you? When I wear this badge, you treat me like a man of the law."

Tatum rolled her eyes at her older brother and grabbed Sidney's arms, gently helping her up. "I'm sorry, Deputy Dewey-boy, but we're ready to go."

I nodded in agreement, standing up, trying not to show how much my ribs were actually hurting me. I wanted to avoid a trip to the emergency room. "I'm getting really late for work too."

 Sheriff Burke motioned to the back of the station, "Use the back way. Avoid the circus".

"Right," I agree and walk to the back exit with the others following me. I had to leave. The smell of donuts, coffee, and self-righteousness was beginning to get to me.