Chapter 41: Cover-ups, Decoys - Oh, and a Gun

Connor's POV

"So, you wanted to see me?" Connor tried to act natural.

Evan wrung his hands. "Um, yeah."

Connor cautiously stepped inside. "So?"

Evan took a deep breath. "Connor, I don't think we should be friends anymore. Or in a relationship."

Connor looked visibly taken aback. "What?"

"You're just not... right in the head," Evan stuttered.

"I don't get it," Connor's eyes were completely broken.

"I mean, you almost cheated on Veronica with me," Evan shrugged.

"What? No, no - I - but why would that - what?" Connor stammered.

"I don't think we should associate with each other," Evan looked away.

"No!" Connor's voice was surprisingly loud. "I want to be friends."

"And maybe stay away from Jared, Jenna, and Alana, too," Evan ignored Connor.

"Why?" Connor's voice broke. "Am I really that bad?"

Of course not.

"Yeah," Evan forced the words out of his mouth. "You are."

"Fuck," Connor shook his head. "Evan, please, I don't know what I did."

"Connor, please," Evan said forcefully. "Just... try to understand."

"But after all we've been through?" Connor protested, his eyes glinting.

"You killed Zoe!" Evan shouted loudly, finally saying what he didn't want to.

Connor stopped moving. His eyes, which had at least had some emotion before, became completely blank.

"Goodbye," Evan finally said.

Connor walked out of the house and got into his car. Slamming the door, he picked up his phone and called the only person he trusted.

"Honey?" Veronica sweetly asked. "How's my cutie doing?"

"Evan told me I killed Zoe," Connor recited numbly.

"Oh, that's not true, babe," Veronica pouted. "How about we go somewhere?"

"Yes," Connor tried to clear his head.

"Pick me up in five!" Veronica hung up.

Connor blankly stared at Evan's house before setting off to Veronica's place.

He had murdered his sister.

oOo

Heather's POV

It was all working out. That loser had actually done it. He had rejected his only friend.

"Veronica, you're amazing," Heather gushed. "You are absolutely stunning."

"Of course I am!" Veronica said, annoyed.

"But after all this, you'll dump the loser, right?" Heather prodded.

"Oh, Heather," Veronica sighed. "His family is rich. If I were to marry him, I'd be rich and famous!"

"But there are better people!" Heather protested not so subtly.

"But those better people aren't here right now," Veronica shrugged. "So he'll suffice."

Heather's face fell slightly. "Right."