Chapter 11: Oh, Bushes!

Evan's POV

Evan was the first to wake up. He usually was. His mom usually came home late from work, and he was gone by the time she came home. His mom. What was she thinking?! He didn't come home last night. She must've already called the cops. They had to find a solution soon.

"Connor, hey, Connor," Evan whispered. Connor didn't stir. "Connor, you have to drive us out of here."

Evan tapped him on the shoulder lightly. "Coooooonnor?"

He still didn't move. Evan felt his heart rate quicken the least bit.

"Connor, this isn't funny," Evan reached for his hand. It was hot.

Oh heck.

"Gosh darnit Connor, why didn't you wear your jacket?" Connor mumbled something under his breath. "I'm assuming that's an apology."
"It's not my fault I get sick easily," Connor said in a small voice.

"Can you drive?"

"No."

"Can you try?"
"No."
Evan groaned loudly. "What can you do?"
"Curl up into a ball in my jacket," which was exactly what he did.

"At least wear the jacket properly," Evan forced Connor, who didn't have the strength to struggle, into his jacket.

"What are we going to do?" Connor asked, coughing weakly.

"I am going to drive," Evan started the ignition.

"Oh hell no," Connor made the effort to sit up. "I am not nearly dying ag - " Connor couldn't finish as he was consumed by another wave of coughs.

"Well, if you go to sleep, you won't have to watch me, also, check your temperature," Evan handed the other boy a thermometer from his pocket.

"You carry a thermometer around?" Connor said, testing his temperature.

"My mom's a nurse," Evan pushed on the car pedal. "I'm kinda required to have one."

"100.5," Connor read the number. "Oh dang, that's bad."

"Sleep it off," Evan reasoned. "Maybe that'll work."

"I'm only trusting you because your mom's a nurse."

"Thanks?"

Evan stared at the road ahead, trying to ignore the burning desire in him to just slam on the brake. Every part of him was screaming "STOOOOP," but Connor needed help and, frankly, so would he if he was with Connor for much longer.

"So, where to?" Evan asked, but Connor was already fast asleep. "I guess we keep driving till we get somewhere."

You had to drive us onto the highway, didn't you?

There was nothing else to do. Evan simply prayed that the car would have enough gas and Connor could stay alive long enough to get help.

oOo

Connor's POV

Everything hurt. They hadn't had anything to eat since they left the Kleinman's. There were no stops. No frikin rest areas. Or anything. Connor felt weak. Very weak.

Godammit, you just had to not wear your jacket.

It was only about nine in the morning but it still felt cold. Evan had been driving for about an hour. He was practically glaring at the road, going about 10 miles above the speed limit. He was desperate. They both were. They could only go so long with the gas they had left. And what did his parents think? What did Zoe think?