Chapter 26: For An Answer to Appear

Alana's POV

It was kind of sweet that all of her friends had come to see what was happening at her date.

But also super creepy.

It didn't help that Jared was glaring at her furiously the entire time. 

She should've just ignored it; that's why she was on his date in the first place, because she wanted to get over - uh, Jaremy, duh!

They would never have worked out anyway. 

He was everything she wasn't. Confident, outgoing, not bullied.

They were better as friends anyway. Their witty banter knew no bounds with her correcting every fact that he got wrong.

 Gosh darn it, she was head over heels into him.

Yeah, she admitted it.

"Alana?" Jayden waved his hand in front of her. "Are you listening?"

"Huh? Yeah! Totally!" Alana said matter-of-factly. "You were talking about how great the ice cream is here! And I agree; it's definitely better than most others." 

Call it a sixth sense, but Alana could focus on two conversations at once. It was a trait she developed when she was doing Geometry in eighth grade while doing her honors chemistry homework.

"Wow, I guess you were listening," He smiled at her, making her blush. "Nice of you."

"Ha, well, I'm the honors kid," She joked.

Jared leaned in quickly. "Were we talking about books?" He asked, a bit too loudly.

"No, just please - "

"I LIKE THAT BOOK WITH THE PEOPLE AND THE OTHER THINGS THAT ARE COOL AND NERDY AND BOOK-Y!" Jared exclaimed.

"Okay, dude, that was fun!" Jayden scoots away from Jared.

They continued to talk about books, Alana trying desperately to ignore Jared's looming figure.

"This was cool," Jayden got up, signaling an end to the date. "We should do this again sometime."

"Yeah," Alana replied, matching his stance. "I'll see you sometime."

"Mhm," Jayden looked back at her. "Need a ride?"

"Uh, ye -"

At this moment, Jared stepped in. "Excuse us, but we will be taking this young lady home tonight."

"Jayden, this is - "

"Mr. Hattan," Jared declared dramatically. "Man Hattan."

Alana mentally face-palmed at his nerdiness.

"No, you're Jared," Jayden pointed out.

Jared took a step back. "How did you know?"

"You're the teacher aid in my third period," Jayden admitted.

"Goddammit," Jared steered Alana away as she tried to say goodbye to her date.

"Aw, Jared's stunt didn't work?" Jenna put on a fake frown. "What a shame."

"Hush it, Jenna," Jared looked proudly at his friends. "I just saved a young lady from a potential kidnapping."

Evan shook his head. "Let's go home."

Connor's phone rang just at that moment. "Hold on."

"Connor, dear, is that you?" Connor's eyebrows furrowed at that voice. "Mrs. Hansen?"