Chapter Sixteen

Point of View: ЦПKПӨЩП, First Person
Timeline: Present Day

"DECEIT?!!" I yelled, tapping my foot impatiently on the floor - the tiny click of my boots bouncing around the throne room.

Deceit popped up into view in the blink of an eye, smirking slyly.  "Greetingsss, my King.  How might I be of assssissstance today?"

"Stop that," I snapped, glaring.  "Your report, Deceit?"

But Deceit merely smiled, not answering right away and stalling as his eyes wandered around the throne room in awe.  The black lights were a nice touch and made the yellow of Deceit's outfit and snake eye glow bright neon green.

I gritted my teeth together - black gloved hands forming into fists, gripping the arms of my throne tightly.  "I suggest you get on with your report, Deceit.  Or perhaps you would rather me tell them that you're inadequate, and incapable of doing your job," I coldly remarked, not a shred of pity in my eyes.

He cleared his throat and reached into the pocket of his cloak, tossing me his complete written report - a long sheet of old parchment paper - his dark curly script against the page.

I quickly scanned the report, making sure it was there in completion.

"Next time I suggest you act less carelessly around the only one who cares about your well being," I said, rolling up the parchment paper in my hand before sliding it into my inner own cloak for me to return to at at later date.

Deceit squirmed in discomfort at the sharp reminder.  "May I take my leave... my King?"

"No,"  I decided.  "How are my sons?  You are, I assume, keeping a close eye on the both of them?  And remember I can tell if you lie so I suggest you tell the truth," I threatened.

"Yes, my King," Deceit agreed.  "Virgil is completely on schedule and arrived at Fairy Godmother's cottage just this afternoon.  Oliver, naturally, lead the way and is in the backyard playing with the woodland creatures while Virgil and Fairy Godmother were inside, surely discussing the current state of their beloved prince," Deceit's snake eye twitched occasionally as he spoke, as it often did when he was telling the truth.

It is not easy to go against one's nature.

Fear is a powerful thing.

"Good," I leaned back in my throne, pausing to think.  "And you are sure that the gem is secure?"

"Yes, my King.  It is under the best protection this imagination can provide," Deceit confirmed.

"And they cannot bring the young prince back without the gem, correct?"

"Yes, my King."

"And the prince's wings?"

"Locked and secure."

"Good.  I expect another report tomorrow.  You know they don't like to wait."

"Yes, my King."

"That will be all," I looked away, giving Deceit a dismissive wave of my hand.  "Begone."

"As you command, King Incubus."

--------------------
Point of View: Virgil, First Person

"What do I need to do to bring Roman back?" I asked, jaw set.