EXTRA SCENE | Saving Both

JASON

I rush Samantha into the E.R. with Austin in tow. The bleeding between her legs continues. Her groans of pain fill my ears. Her words echoing in my mind.

The baby is dying, Jason. Your child is dying.

I shake them off. I rush her past the front desk. Nurses rush after me and Austin asking questions I don't want to answer. Austin answered the questions.

A nurse went ahead and showed us to a room to take Samantha in. The doctor walks in as I set her down onto the bed.

"Who's the patient and what wrong with her?" The doctor asks looking at the blood on Samantha's legs.

"Her name is Samantha Kirk. She's the Alpha's daughter," I reply. "She's losing our child."

"Oh, dear," the doctor says, raising an eyebrow. "Please move aside."

The doctor makes her way to Samantha. She takes her periscope to check for a heartbeat on her stomach.

"I hear a faint heartbeat," the doctor says after a while. "I'll have to make an ultrasound to check the baby and keep the patient on twenty-four watch."

"Thank you, doctor," Austin says.

The doctor nods and proceeds to hook Samantha into different machines.

"She's stable," the doctor states. "They both are. For now."

"Ok," I reply.

"I'll come back in a little to take the ultrasound," the doctor walks out of the room, closing the door behind her.

**

"It looks like the baby is okay but it doesn't explain why she's getting weak as time progresses," the doctor notes and jots something down onto her file.

"What does that mean?" I ask.

"It means that a choice needs to be made. Her or the baby," the doctor says. "I've heard of something like happening before but I don't know anything about it."

"No," Austin exclaims. "She's my sister. I can't loose her."

"She wouldn't want the baby to die," I answer.

"No," Austin continues.

"I won't loose my child," I reply.

"And I won't loose my sister," Asutin counter-claims.

I sigh on exasperation.

"I'll take care of it," someone behind us interrupts.

We all turn toward the mystery voice. A women with her dark hair pulled up into an up-do stands in a long dress.

"Who are you?" Austin and I ask at the same time.

"Moon goddess," the doctor whispers behind us.

"Moon goddess Luna?" I ask.

She turns towards me. She smiles and nods. "Like I said, I'll take care of my daughter."

"Daughter?" Austin's dumbfounded.

"I can save my daughter and the baby," Luna says.

"How?" I ask.

"That's impossible," the doctor remarks. "The baby is killing her."

"I can save her. I can keep the fetus viable until she's ready to once again carry it 'till full term," Luna says. "Anything is possible."

I don't have to think about it twice to make up my mind.

"Do it," I pronounce. "I want to save them both."

Luna makes her way to Samantha, who's still knocked out from the pain. She places her hand on Samantha's stomach. Samantha gasps, momentarily opening her eyes. Luna slowly removes her hand from Samantha's stomach bringing out the fetus in a small bubble. I can only look mesmerized at the actions happening before me.

A cylinder tank, about two feet tall, appeares next to Luna. It's filled with some sort of blue water. She places the fetus into the tank. The fetus floats on the middle of it.

"This is filled with a solution that will keep the fetus viable for many years," Luna says. "I'll keep sure that it stays viable."

Luna makes the tank disappear. She walks over to Austin and takes his hand.

"Be a better brother," She tells Austin. "You're young. You can redeem yourself."

Austin closes his eyes. He opens them again. She walks over to the doctor. She places a hand on her shoulder. The doctor focuses on her.

"You are to tell Samantha that she's lost the baby," she says. "It doesn't matter how much she cries. She needs to get stronger."

"Ok," the doctor replies obediently. She blinks multiple times as if getting out of a trance.

Luna makes her way towards me. She smiles.

"You get to remember this moment," she says. "You're the reason my daughter is here in the first place."

"Yes, ma'am," I nod.

She smiles. "Great."

"What do I tell her?" I ask.

She looks at Samantha on the bed.

"You won't say anything," Luna replies. "You go along with the lie if you want to be in her life."

With that, Luna leaves the room.