EXTRA SCENE | First Love

SAMANTHA

SAMANTHA

13-Years-Old

Alison hates me.

It’s self-explanatory. It’s been four years since Nanna Maggie died. Alison has prohibited me from using Clearwater as my last name at school. Peter said it was for the best that I use my real last name: Kirk. I did the best next thing I could do. I stopped using Samantha as my name. I used my middle name, Giselle, instead. I wanted some independence from them both. I couldn’t stand that one moment they seemed to care for me and the next they don’t. Peter was better at caring for me than Alison would ever.

The one thing I was happy about was that Alison was a teacher in the high school. I wouldn’t have to deal with her for the next few years in school. I was going to be Giselle Kirk. No one would stop me. I was content for the first time in years.

***

I saw Austin in the courtyard of the pack-house with a boy. He seemed like he was my age. Austin was three years younger than me. The boy he was with was taller and looked older. I stayed by the door of the pack-house.

Alison didn’t want me near Austin. How would I do that? He’s my brother. I was upset when she said that. I had the right to be with my brother.

Austin turns around towards the house. He smiles and waves me over. I smile back but denied. I didn’t like this but I also didn’t want to get in trouble. Alison wasn’t kind when I did something she didn’t like. I think back to yesterday when she walked in to my bedroom. I had done my bed and she said I hadn’t done it right. I talked back to her. She slapped me across the face. She hadn’t left a bruise but it still hurt.

The next thing I know is Austin is walking towards me with the boy. As they do, I look closely to the boy. He’s blonde. He’s got green eyes. Chiseled cheekbones.

“Sammy, I’d like you to meet my friend, Jason,” Austin says.

Jason extends his arms towards me. It takes me a while to react. I take his hand and shake it.

“I’m Jason,” he says.

“I’m Samantha,” I say. I don’t know why I said that. I’m supposed to be Giselle. I frown upon myself.

“Samantha,” Jason whispers. “That’s a pretty name.”

I flush red.

“Thank you, Jason,” I say.

“Would you like to hang out with us?” Jason asks.

“I can’t,” I say. “My step-mother isn't very kind when I’m with Austin. Perhaps another day.”

“I’ll keep you up to that,” Jason grins.

I smile. “Ok. It was nice meeting you.”

“Ditto,” Jason says.