EXTRA SCENE | Nana Maggie

In the rewrite these extra scenes will be officially part of the book.

SAMANTHA

Eight Years Old

Daddy Peter called me into his office. I sat down on the big chair in front of his desk. I watched him with my full attention and curiosity. He wanted me to pay attention. He said he had something important to tell me. Everything went so fast, it blurred in my mind.

"You weren't born to be an alpha, Sammy," my father tells me. "You were born to be a goddess and people will hate you for that."

"Why?" My eight-year-old self asks.

"Because you'll be different from the rest of us," he says.

"I don't want to be different," I say.

“I know,” Daddy says. “But you are. We can’t change that.”

He then told me he would make me an omega for my protection. I didn’t know what that meant. He explained to me that it was the lowest rank of the pack. He, brother, and step-mom would make sure I was safe and taken care of. I wouldn’t live in the big house. I would live with the rest of the omegas with the nice lady, Maggie.

Step-mom Ali steps into the office. She stands behind me and smiles down at me for a moment before looking at daddy. Daddy tells her to take me to the nice lady. Ali takes my hand, pulling me from the chair. I say bye to daddy as we both exit the office.

Ali walks me to the house where the nice lady leaves. We enter the house. The nice lady smiles at me but looks conflicted with Ali. She doesn’t look happy with her. Ali leaves, slamming the door behind her. Maggie closes her eyes then opened them. She walks towards me and crouches down to my height.

“Hi, sweetie. I’m Maggie but I’m sure you know that. I’m Ali’s mom. I will take care of you as I do all the omegas,” She says. “Okay?”

“Yeah,” I nod.

“Would you like to eat something?” she asks.

“Yes, please,” I smile.

“Ok,” she stands.

She leaves towards the kitchen. I follow her. I sit on the chair at the table. Moments later, Maggie presents me with crêpes. She takes out a strawberry jelly from the fridge and Nutella from the cabinet above the stove.

***

Nanna Maggie is the best! I’ve enjoyed living with her for the past weeks. She’s taken care of me. Daddy has come to see me four times. He says he’s busy doing Alpha stuff. I get sad thinking about that. Maggie made me happy when I was upset.

Ali had come once and never came back again. She left upset. Nanna Maggie was mad when she walked into the house. I saw it all through the window. I asked Maggie about it but she said everything was fine.

I knew it wasn’t.

Nanna was getting old and sick but she had become my mother. She took me to school, made me food, helped with my homework, and tucked me into bed at night. I had told her that she was like a mom. I never had one. She said she was glad that she was a mom for me. She said she loved me. I told her I loved her too.

~ Nine Years Old ~

Nanna wasn’t feeling good. She stayed in bed all day. She gray hair seemed grayer. I asked the pack doctor to check on her. She did. I stayed behind the door of Nanna’s bedroom. The doctor came out. She said Nanna wasn’t doing well.

I asked Nanna one day if I could have her last name. She said she would ask Peter.

The next day she told me that Peter said no but we secretly had me use it. I wouldn’t use “Sammy Kirk” in my homework assignment for school. I used “Sammy Clearwater.” For me, I was no longer a Kirk. Peter didn’t care enough to come see me. Ali didn’t like her mom nor did she come to see me. Ali said Austin was too small to come by himself, even if he was only a few months younger than me. Ali wouldn’t bring him.

There was a time when Nanna Maggie got better. She took me to the park in the pack territory.

An hour or so in our trip to the park, Maggie fell. I yelled for help. She wouldn’t wake up. I asked her to but she wouldn’t.

Somehow, I asked the doctor to come see her, she arrived a few minutes later with Peter. Peter took me away from Maggie. He took me in his arms. This was the closest we had been ever since I’ve gone to live with Nanna.

“What’s wrong with her, Daddy?” I asked him.

“I don’t know, Sammy,” he replies.

Daddy came into the room. I lived in the big house now. He had a dress in his hands. It had a black top with a white flower on the shoulder. The skirt was black and white.

“Where are we going?” I ask.

“To see Nanna Maggie,” he replies.

My heart ached.

“Ok,” I reply.

I rush into the bathroom taking the dress with me. I put it on. Peter does my hair in a ponytail.

“Thank you, daddy,” I say.

“You’re welcome, Samantha,” he says.

He doesn’t call me by endearments anymore. Only by my name. I leave the room behind him. Ali’s waiting for us in the car. She doesn’t look pleased to see me.

Pater drives for a while. I get out of the car when he stops. I run to where Nanna Maggie is. Ali, Austin, and Peter follow behind.

“Hi, Nanna,” I whisper.

She doesn’t reply. I wouldn’t expect her to. She wasn’t here.

I looked at the beautiful headstone made just for her.

'Margaret Clearwater

March 1927 - September 2007

Wife, mother, grandmother

Dearly missed.'