Sixteen

After lunch was over, Tom and I spent every moment we weren't shooting together, and I knew it was because he wanted to make sure I was okay after what happened. I really appreciated it.

Once we were home that night, I called Ali and spoke with her. She, again, wanted to make sure that I was okay and to reassure me that I was one of the baddest bitches she knows (her words, not mine).

After that call, Tom kissed my head before telling me he was getting in the shower. Once he was gone, I took a deep breath and bit my lip. I grabbed a hoodie from his room and made my way up onto our house's roof.

I often did a lot of deep thinking like this; I'd go outside on a nice night and just sit, looking up at the stars as I tried to process my thoughts. I found comfort in it, really. It allowed me to understand what I was thinking and feeling and organize it in a way that I would be able to explain to people if I ever felt I should.

I sat down on the roof, putting Tom's hoodie on and hugging my legs close. The events that transpired today brought a certain thought to mind, but it was one I wasn't sure I could say out loud. I wanted to use tonight to try to see what could happen if I did say it.

After about ten minutes of thinking by myself, I heard a window open and footsteps approaching. I looked back to see Zendaya making her way towards me, two bowls of ice cream in her hands. "It's birthday cake." She grinned as she sat down. I chuckled as I grabbed one of the bowls.

"How'd you find me?" I asked as I took a bite.

"Well, when Tom got out of the shower, he decided he'd wanted to gather all five of us to play a game. We couldn't find you in your room, so we called Ali to see what kind of place you would wander off too. As soon as she mentioned that a day like today would cause you to need some deep thinking and described how you liked to do that, I knew the best place would be the roof." She took a bite gently. "I also knew that girl talk was always helpful in times like this, and that boys are stupid." I chuckled as she spoke with a mouth full of ice cream.

"That they are, Z. That they are."

"Care to share what's on your mind?" She gave me a knowing look that told me I didn't have to if I didn't want too.

"All that happened today made me realize something—or at least, I think it did. It's not anything I've ever felt before in this way." She raised an eyebrow, and I shook my head. "I know I'm not making sense, and that's because it barely makes sense to me. But if I did actually realize it, this is too soon to act on it."

"Can you elaborate on what this realization is? Or at least hint at it if you can't describe it? If I understand what you realized I think I may be able to relate and help you think through it."

"It's about Tom. Everything that happened today made me realize something about Tom."

"Oh." She nodded as she took a bite. As she set the spoon in her bowl, her eyes widened. "OH."

"Yeah."

"D-do you...?"

"I mean, I think so. He's the first one, so I can't say for sure, really." I started messing with one of the hoodie sleeves as I spoke.

"Is that what's bothering you? That you can't be certain?"

"Part of it. We also haven't been together long. Hell, it's been like two days. I don't know what his reaction would be if he knew."

"I see." I took a bite as she looked at me. "Has the dynamic between the two of you changed since you started dating?"

"No, it hasn't."

"Does he make you feel happy every time you see him?" I nodded, and she smiled. "And when you fall asleep and wake up in bed with him, how do you feel?"

"Like I'm floating. And his smile every time he wakes up and sees me, just... wow."

"Girl, you've got it bad." She chuckled, and I rolled my eyes. "But I think you're right. You do."

"Really?" She smiled as I took a bite of ice cream.

"I do. And I also think he does too."

"Wait, you do?" I looked at her, and she nodded.

"He's the one who went out of his way to get you your favorite flowers when you were feeling bad. He brought Tessa along to the shoot because he knew you wanted to meet and play with her. Hell, he's the one who keeps buying birthday cake ice cream because you're the only one who praises it." I laughed at her as she took a bite. "Mint chocolate chip is so much better, by the way."

"Is all of that true? He told you that?"

"Every single bit. Hell, when I found him during lunch, he was getting out of the car holding the vase." She grinned as she looked at me. "I personally believe that whenever you feel you're ready, you should tell him, but that's only if you want too." I nodded as I listened, smiling at her.

"Thank you so much, Daya. Really." I leaned over and hugged her, and she smiled.

"Anytime. Now, I don't know about you, but I'm getting a little chilly. I think I'm gonna head back inside." I nodded as she stood, taking a deep breath.

"Hey, Daya?" She looked back at me gently. "Could you tell Tom to come up here?" 

"Of course, Grace." She smiled before turning back and crawling inside through the open window. I took a deep breath as I gathered our ice cream, setting it off to the side as I waited for Tom.

Let me know your thoughts! :-)