Epilogue

EPILOGUE

"Then from this day forward, until you recieve your warrior name, you will be known as Hazelpaw."

The little brown she-cat stepped forward to lick Dawnstar's shoulder. He nodded with pride in his eyes and she proceeded to her new mentor, Sunnycloud, and they touched noses. They joined the line.

The setting sun sent a red glow around the stony clearing. The Clan was rippling with excitement. Dawnstar looked down at the new apprentices of EarthClan.

"Sprucepaw! Moorpaw! Buzzardpaw! Floatpaw! Hazelpaw!" EarthClan cheered. The five new apprentices sat up straight with their new mentors. Sprucepaw sat calmly next to Clovermist. Moorpaw stood beside Lightwing, his gray fur dark against her creamy pelt. Buzzardpaw would be mentored by Smokeyes. Scorchpath, who would be mentoring Floatpaw, did not seem nearly as excited; he looked upset. Sprucepaw looked completely calm beside his new mentor, Ringpool.

The other apprentices -Acornpaw, Viperpaw, Flamepaw, Leafpaw, Stormpaw, Starlingpaw and Frostpaw- came forward to greet their new denmates.

"This is so amazing!" Buzzardpaw mewed. "I can't wait until we start training!"

Wavethorn nodded. "Bright and early tomorrow; I expect we'll all be taking you on the dawn patrol." He looked to the other new mentors; they nodded happily.

Flamepaw and Leafpaw looked at the new apprentices. "We should take you all to see the appprentice den. C'mon, we'll get your new nests set up." Hazelpaw and Buzzardpaw nodded. Moorpaw wrapped his tail around Floatpaw and they followed.

Dawnstar padded over to the new mentors. "This is fantastic, isn't it?"

Smokeyes nodded. "Wonderful. I'm glad to finally have apprentice!" Dawnstar purred. The mentors padded to the prey-pile, chatting about their new apprentices.

Skypelt came up to Dawnstar. "So we have twelve apprentices now," he mewed. "We need to work on expanding the den."

Dawnstar nodded, deep in thought. "Yes. Organize for the apprentices to help out. It is their den, after all."

Skypelt purred and nodded happily. "I'm taking Viperpaw out for night training. We're going to see what kind of prey comes out at night."

Dawnstar nodded. "You don't have to justify it to me." Skypelt nodded and led his apprentice out into the forest.

Dawnstar sighed and looked around at his camp. The EarthClan warriors were retreating to their dens, or lounging around beside the prey-pile. Aldergaze, Peachnose and Shadowheart were peacefully asleep outside their rock cave. The warriors slipped into the bush to sleep. The apprentices were trying to squeeze into their own den. The sun was far below the horizon and the first stars of Silverpelt were beginning to shine.

Cherryfoot, his mate, his medicine cat, must be watching down on EarthClan. Sableheart, he hoped, would be right beside her. He imagined his two friends alongside his ancestors.

He sighed and stretched his legs. Dawnstar scrambled up the rocks to his den, dove into his nest, and drifted off to sleep.

-------

A day's journey away, in a thick Twolegplace, two cats slipped through the darkness. The gentle light of the moon and stars were no match for the harsh, artificial lampposts lining the streets, sending long shadows on everything looming in the alleys. The two felines' figures were cast on the ground as they sprinted to cover behind a garbage can.

A hefty ginger tom sneezed and licked his paws, sore from the unfamiliar burning pavement of the Twolegplace. He faced his companion, a regal silver she-cat.

"The time has come." He said it confidently, but softly, looking over his shoulder to see if another soul had heard. "Our teams are strong apart, but together we will be unstoppable."

The imposing she-cat nodded. "I believe so."

Fire huffed. "Every cat under the night sky will bow down to us." A growl rose in his throat. "Even the forest Clans. They have great strength and skill in battle, but we will have numbers. Wouldn't you rather have a choice territory in the forest, full of prey and cover?" He looked around in disgust. "More so than this rat-hole you live in now?"

The silver she-cat glared. "I'm not so sure. We know this human land like our own paws. This is our home." She stared intensely at him. "How should I know this isn't a set-up, to gain the forest for yourself? The barn getting older, hm?"

Fire blinked. Hesitation flickered in his eyes but he soon returned to his confident green gaze. "You can trust me." He flicked his tail. "I promise."

The she-cat's ice blue eyes were slits. After a long, thoughtful pause, she nodded, and nodded slowly.

Fire grinned and nodded. "You will not regret this, my friend. This alliance will be the strongest the world has seen."

The two cats bowed respectfully, and she led him farther into the darkness, their bright pelts fading into the shadows of the night.