Chapter 33

~ Chapter 33 is about the Gathering. Wow... I post these really fast, I've noticed. Hope I don't seem wierd or addicted.... Chapter 33 is dedicated to my friend sqwerlgirl38. She used to have a story, but it was deleted. It was a good story though. Thanks for reading you guys :)

CHAPTER 33

"DAWNSTAR!" The tawny leader was being prodded sharply in the side. He opened his eyes to see Skypelt beside his nest. The cave was bathed with dappled golden light.

"It's time to choose cats for the Gathering, Dawnstar," the blue tom told him. "You've been out cold for hours." The EarthClan deputy helped him to his paws, avoiding the twisted one, and led him down the rocks. Dawnstar was about to explain that he wasn't an elder and could get down by himself, but realized that he probably couldn't do it alone, and graciously accepted the help. When they reached the group of warriors, some cats eyed Dawnstar's face and paw oddly. He brushed it off, jumped onto a higher boulder and addressed the cats below.

"The warriors that are coming to the Gathering are as follows: Aldergaze, Peachnose, Spottedclaw, Whispershine, Specklegaze, Poppybreeze, Bouncestorm, Brindlepelt, Shadefire, Sunnycloud, Thrushfall, Wavethorn, Sparrowbelly, Scorchpath, Mallownose, Ringpool, and the apprentices." The chosen cats moved forward and gathered at the entrance to camp, and Dawnstar padded to the medicine den.

He called softly into the cave, "Cherryfoot? Are you there?" When no cat answered, he went further into the den. He saw a dim figure, crouched over something. It was Cherryfoot.

The red she-cat turned around and looked at him sadly, but her eyes looked frustrated. "What do you want," she muttered.

He came closer to her. Dawnstar sidestepped her lashing tail and stuck his muzzle in her face. "Why are you mad at me?"

Cherryfoot gave him that look that says, really? Are you kidding? "You tried to maime yourself on a tree when I told you I'm having kits! I broke the Medicine Cat Code for you! StarClan hates me, and I have to have kits now, all thanks to you!"

"Hey, thanks to me? Hello! You just had to make me fall in love with you! You loved me first, Cherryfoot. I didn't ask for us to have kits."

She scowled. "There you go! You don't want to have kits. You don't love me, just admit it!"

"I do love you! I want to have kits, but only if you do! It might really hurt your life and your reputation if we become mates! I care about you, but I can't if that makes you angry!"

"Just save it, Dawnstar!" Cherryfoot stormed off outside. Dawnstar followed her, but said nothing more.

The patrol set off into the forest. The moon wasn't very high, and the sky was still a dark lavender, but it would take awhile for all the cats to get to the Gathering hollow. The only really special thing about the clearing was the enormous oak tree that the leaders addressed the Clans from. The rocks below it were for deputies and the bushes around the area were for the elders, medicine cats, and the rest were for warriors.

Dawnstar padded through the forest. He saw Cherryfoot a few fox-lengths ahead side by side with Finchpetal, her tail flicking with aggression. He saw Shortwhisker talking to Smokeyes, and heard parts of their conversation for a minute. Shortwhisker was nervous about being a father, and Smokeyes was helping him. Dawnstar sighed. He could use some of that pep talk coaching right now.

Whispershine padded up beside him. "Hi, Dawnstar."

"Hello." He looked at her. They looked really alike, except she was about two-thirds his size. He was pretty big for his age, anyway. He and Whispershine shared the same white markings and pelt, but her eyes were a deep green. "You don't look too good," his daughter said.