Chapter 19

20 years later

20 years later...
Once upon a time in a galaxy far, far away, a handsome young prince lived in a beautiful castle, deep within the forests of Takodana. Although he had the utmost everything his heart desired, the Prince was bitterly selfish, cruel and unkind.

Then, one winter's night, a grand celebration was held in honor of the Prince's intention to ascend the throne. It was there he found himself gazing among the many beautiful faces of ladies in attendance. From the breadth of stunning courtiers, he had to choose one to accompany him in leading the first dance. So many eligible ladies had graced him with their presence yet not one could hold his interest. Whether he was disinterested, or not, the Prince didn't seem bothered by his indifference; nor did he show it. Though he danced with many ladies, he deemed none of them fair enough to consider a place by his side as his future queen.

Suddenly, an elderly beggar woman came to the castle, dressed in ragged clothing and greeted him with a wide smile that had surely seen better days. With hopes to seek shelter from the bitter cold, the woman offered him a single stardust rose as her only payment for his accommodation. The Prince considered the woman's offer, momentarily only to sneer at the gift as turned the old woman away.

Unfaltering from the Prince's harsh demeanor the woman kindly advised him to not be deceived by appearances. For beauty is found within. The Prince darkly chuckled, before once again he cruelly and abruptly dismissed. It was then that the prince realized his mistake as the old woman's ugliness melted away, revealing a beautiful enchantress. He had read about such individuals before: powerful wielders of magic from the planet Dathomir that were notorious for their mystical, unnatural ways of living.

Stunned, the prince abruptly tried to apologize, but it was too late. The enchantress had already seen all she needed to know that there was no love in his heart. As punishment she transformed him into a hideous -

"Sola?"

At the sound of her brother's voice, Sola glanced up from the page she was reading, huffing in frustration at the interruption even though she'd read the story enough to have it memorized by heart. More so it had come down to her simply enjoying being lost in her thoughts and imagination.

The majority of the late afternoon had been spent preparing for her Investiture Ceremony Gala the following evening, making last minute adjustments on the extravagant gown she was expected to wear that her mother helped her pick out; after convincing her father that it was more than appropriate for her to wear, of course. The memory of the matter made her laugh, regarding the blatant look of hesitation on his face before he finally caved to her sulking, clearly unable to resist her pouty lip and pleading eyes.

The dress was a beautiful shade of periwinkle that perfectly complimented her creamy skin, enhancing her hazel eyes and her long waves of obsidian locks. A charming effect of embroidered lines embellished the taffeta that lie over the bodice with a silk underskirt. A subtle hint of the periwinkle shone through the sheer gossamer down her arms. The design trailed further into lace-like appearance that modestly covered her chest, fading to become translucent at the plunging neckline to her mid-torso.

The time came for rehearsing the motions that she was expected to know; more specifically what she needed to recite when announcing her intention to ascend her father's position as the rightful heir to Chandrila should that day ever come.

The motions were simple, really: kneel, repeat the words of the oath that had been permanently engraved into her memory since her sixteenth birthday – the day she essentially made the decision to uphold her birth right – and rise when her father gave the order to do so. She was confident in her ability to do what was expected of her. At least it all appeared to be simple before the thought of having the numerous pairs of eyes within the audience, focusing entirely on her settled to the forefront of her thoughts.

Shortly, after dinner she sought the peaceful solitude in the small reading nook of the library – her mother's library. Since the day she was able to remember her mother always brought her to the library for the afternoon or late evening storytelling by the fireplace. The smell of burning wood and the crackling fire in the background always provided the needed comfort to wind down from their chaotic schedules.

Throughout Sola's childhood her mother always shared her most favorite books and stories at that spot in front of the fire; while her younger brother, Étoiles, took a prominent liking to studying the ways of The Force with his father as he grew in age.

It was her normal routine as a young girl, where Sola would spend the last hour before bed time, comfortably curled up in her father's lap, allowing the low sound of his voice reverberating from his chest to put her to sleep while he read the story of her choice. It was a sound that always managed to provide her a little bit of comfort as she got older, curling up in the chair opposite of his after the long, daunting hours of school and that of her royal teachings.

Since it was her decision to not further pursue her potential in The Force aside from initial training to control her powers she had as a child, Sola's parents always did their best to ensure that she had the knowledge to keep her powers at bay. Since her parents insisted that their children have a somewhat normal childhood Sola and Étoiles attended one of the finer schools in Hanna City rather than having private tutors.

There were a few moments in class she recalled accidentally exposing her remarkable capabilities in The Force. She often absentmindedly levitated the stylus to the holopad on her desk or answered questions before the teacher had the chance to ask due to her ability to read minds. It was more than enough to draw unwarranted attention from surrounding classmates as they stared with quizzical glances. Sola would smile sheepishly and momentarily wish that she could simply just be normal – aside from the obvious fact that she was of royal descent.

But there were a few among her peers she proudly called friends that made those daunting moments more bearable; one that also shared the same qualities in The Force provided some relief that she had someone to relate to outside her family. Her other friend was Jorden Tico , son of Finn and Rose Tico, who was a year in age older than her and had grown up together at the palace. He was nineteen: a young captain of the Chandrilan guard who had always been one to lend an open ear for her to talk to when needed during stolen walks throughout the palace gardens.

However, there were still those cliques within her peers that often declared The Force as being none other than a bunch of mumbo jumbo, trying to make a believer out of nonbelievers was essentially not an easy task. And today had been precisely one of those days in which inevitably drove her to seeking the need to momentarily escape into a world of fantasy, something that only her favorite books could provide.

"I should've known I would have found you here," Étoiles stated, exasperation showing in his low voice like their father's. His arms folded over his chest, cocking his head to the side that enabled his autumn locks of curls to bounce freely when he moved.

His honey brown eyes bore knowingly into hers, which remained fixated on the current page she was reading. "Father has been looking for you all evening."

Sola arched a brow, allowing her eyes to briefly leave the printed literature in front of her to consider her brother's haphazard look. "I'm fairly certain if the reason was of enough importance Papa would know exactly where to find me."

Étoiles huffed, rolling his eyes as he took it upon himself to claim the padded chair crosswise from hers. "So where did you escape to tonight? Wait – don't tell me!" He abruptly added humorously, "I'm going to guess you were a slave girl taken prisoner aboard a slug's barge in the Tatooine desert. Then, your prince charming rescued you just before you were thrown into the mouth of a Sarlaac."

Sola snorted audibly as she held up the cover of the book for her brother's better viewing, "Very wrong – guess again."

Étoiles only needed a quick glance at the prominent calligraphy style of lettering on the book's cover to know what she was reading; the same book she'd read from front to back more times than he was able to count on both hands.

"Beauty and the Beast. Seriously – aren't you sick of that story?"

"No," she curtly affirmed, shooting him a toothy grin. "And it's my favorite. It has faraway places, daring saber fights, magic spells, and a prince in disguise. What's there not to love?"

Étoiles shook his head, offering a smirk along in reply as he stood to leave. "You really are hopeless. You know that, right?"

Sola offered him a smile. "If Papa really is looking for me – just tell him I'll be here if he needs me."

Étoiles silently acknowledged her request with a simple wave of his hand in the air, heading to the door of the chamber. He merely made it over the threshold when he saw his father, heading towards him just further down the dimly lit corridor.

Ben snorted inaudibly to himself, knowing full well where his daughter had run off to for the evening when it was essentially the only place he'd incessantly found her among many occasions – like those many times he'd found Rey, sleeping with a book still in hand and the fire dying in the background.

"The library." Ben confirmed, amused.

Étoiles nodded, smirking at the obvious statement as his father stood before him. Luck had it for him within his genes Étoiles was easily able to consider Ben near eye level. At the age of fifteen he was already hovering over six-foot in height. "With her nose stuck in a book."

Ben acknowledged his son's validation with a grunt, smirking, he patted Étoiles on the shoulder before closing the remaining distance to the library's entrance with a few short strides. He paused, momentarily with a hand on the doorframe whilst observing his daughter from afar, briefly reminiscing over the years that had passed at the mere blink of an eye. She was eighteen now, considering it felt like yesterday when she was born.

Ben and Rey had been married just a few days shy of a year when Finn married Rose. Due to the fact that Finn never knew his parental lineage he didn't hesitate at the notion of claiming Rose's last name as his own. Nine months later the Ticos welcomed their son, Jorden Poe Tico, declaring his middle name as the first friend Finn met upon arriving at the palace.

While their husbands were busy tending to their appropriate affairs in civic duties Rey spent most of her time helping Rose with baby Jorden. The idea of having children never crossed Ben and Rey's minds until the contagious sounds of baby laughter were heard daily, echoing throughout the corridors, only to enhance Rey's love for the newest arrival. The more time she spent with Rose and Jorden, seemingly only enhanced her urge to begin their family.

Alas, Ben immediately shot down the idea after the topic had been brought up over late-night pillow talk. After having been raised by droids throughout his early childhood, figuratively, while his parents were busy being wrapped up in matters of their own civil affairs was more than enough to hinder the thought of having children from Ben's mind. Not only did he lack the concept of raising a child that would depend entirely on him it only terrified Ben more that the child would carry an internal struggle like he did for so long.

How in the hell could he raise a child and not harbor the idea of him – or her – suffering like he did? Yes, the curse had been broken, but it never deterred the fact that his bloodline was solely responsible for the initial enactment. While Rey believed otherwise it wasn't merely enough to hinder the fear of failing his own child, having suffered from his own family's misguidance and inadvertent negligence.

After hearing the disheartening words that explained Ben's reasoning, Rey refrained from pushing the topic any further. Momentarily, her heart sunk at the thought that she would never get to experience the joy of bearing a child of her own, enhancing her appreciation of the time spent with Jorden. As the days passed by her disappointment gradually subsided, accepting that either way she could be happy with the future being just her and Ben – but that future outlook had only been temporary.

At one point during a early afternoon stroll to the office Ben took a detour towards the dining hall, figuring Rey would be there with Rose for lunch. The sound of their voices chattering within the chamber confirmed his belief, but it was the sight of Rey holding Jorden that abruptly brought him to a standstill just outside the doorway.

He regarded how she lit up once the baby was within her grasp and the fleeting look of disappointment when she had to surrender him over to Rose for feeding. Hesitantly, he reconsidered his initial stance on the subject. Furthermore, cementing his decision later in the afternoon he broached the subject to Rey, encouraging her to have the contraceptive implant removed.

Ben never forgot the initial look of fervent excitement on Rey's face when he told her; even more so within the following weeks when they learned that Rey was pregnant far more quickly than they anticipated. A mixture of emotions welled up within him when Rey broke the exciting news that evening; curling flush into his side in bed she whispered the small phrase that forever changed their lives.

The brief moment of apprehension and fear rendered moot, abruptly nine months later when Ben held their daughter in his arms: Solais Leia Solo. The moment he regarded her within the mass of his arms Ben could only compare the onslaught of emotions to the first evening he saw Rey at the countryside palace. Undoubtedly, it was love at first sight. His heart fluttered rapidly in his chest, enhancing the initial need to always protect her and promising to never fail her like his family failed him.

Within the forthcoming weeks Ben and Rey decided to move their small family and the Ticos with the remaining staff to the palace in the country, welcoming the peace and solitude of the rural area to raise their daughter.

Three years later their family grew, unexpectedly, with the birth of their son, Étoiles Han Solo. It wasn't until his arrival when Rey and Ben realized their family was now complete. As the years passed with equal love between the children Sola, undoubtedly, became a daddy's girl whilst Étoiles took to his mother.

Alas, the years quickly passed in a flash as Ben now stood, regarding that same girl he'd held eighteen years ago in his arms, having the honor to declare her as his chosen heir to the throne within the coming hours. Where she once had a round face with chubby cheeks now was a woman with prominently defined cheek bones and freckles, sprinkling over her nose and across her cheeks. Aside from having the color of his hair Sola was an apparent image of Rey.

The corner of Sola's lips curled upright into a smile, sensing the intensity of her father's presence she glanced up from her reading to regard his entrance.

"I'm not interrupting anything, am I?" Ben inquired with a crooked smile.

"No, Sir." Sola stated as a matter of fact, welcoming his presence with a smile. "I'm just finishing up for the evening, actually."

Ben claimed the seat next to her. His elbows rested casually on his knees, furrowing his brows in thought was more than enough to give Sola the notion that what he wanted to say was something of significance. "I just wanted to reassure you – about tomorrow, regarding the gala after the ceremony."

Sola nodded, closing her book to give Ben her undivided attention.

"I know you've heard me say this more times than you probably like to hear, Sola," Ben started, softly. "But I just wanted to reassure you that there is absolutely no pressure for you, regarding the suitors that will be present tomorrow. You're under no obligation to make any definite choices."

"I know," Sola affirmed with a heavy sigh. Truth be told she had already taken interest in someone; however, surprisingly, that information as well as who that person was still remained a mystery to her parents. "It's actually the least of my worries right now."

Ben regarded her words, carefully, with warmth in his eyes. "I just prefer the thought of you finding love first rather than forcing an advantageous match on you."

Sola cocked her head, leaning further into the plush back of her chair. "Like you did with momma?"

The tenderness behind Ben's smile became all the more prominent at the mentioning of her mother. Truthfully, not a moment passed where he didn't consider Rey more beautiful than she was when he first saw her all of those years ago. Other than the few streaks of grey that highlighted the hair above her temples she still managed to steal his breath away.

The same remained for him when Rey stared back at him, the same warmth and affection she always regarded him with even after his hair now displayed the same silver streaks. Abruptly, his attention diverted from the momentary lapse down memory lane to that of his daughter's imploring gaze.

"Yes," he affirmed serenely, "just like with your mother."

Sola smiled, imagining the thought of having someone look at her the way her father always looked at her mother. After hearing the truth behind her parents' meeting and how they fell in love she always held it tightly in comparison to the fairytales she ardently read about in her stories. Perhaps, that was one of the many reasons why she loved the book currently held in her grasp – other than her self-proclaimed relation to the lead female character.

"Papa," She started whilst furrowing her brows in thought, "do you think I'm odd?"

Ben blinked, blatantly harboring concern within his eyes at the unexpected query. "Whatever gave you that idea?"

Sola scoffed, momentarily, as she considered her words. She didn't want to worry her father too much over something that may be considered nothing. Running her tongue over her lips in thought she settled for an answer deemed far less daunting than the initial reason.

"I don't know," she added with a slight shrug. "People talk I guess."

Ben eyed her knowingly. Where Sola may have looked like Rey, regarding appearances but she had also inherited his not-so-subtle facial expressions, enabling him to read her apprehension like an open book.

"You know, your mother had a far different upbringing than I had growing up. And it was because of her atypical status here that made her an easy target for the more privileged crowd, but she was fearless." Ben stated assertively, holding his daughter's gaze to heighten the importance behind his words. "And it was because of that indomitable strength that hindered them from mocking her to the point where they found themselves imitating her."

Sola regarded him momentarily, allowing the prudence within his words to settle into her thoughts. When her expression had been more solemn it seceded to that of tranquility, allowing her to offer him a genuine smile in appreciation. If there was one thing about her father that she loved more than anything it was his charismatic way of offering her words of encouragement.

Sensing her refrained composure, Ben rose to place a gentle kiss to her forehead. "Try not to stay up too late." He declared with a formidable raised brow, knowing that she was notorious for falling asleep in the late hours of the night within the comfort of her mother's the library. "We have a busy day tomorrow."

Sola snorted, conceding to his subtle warning. "I'll try not to, papa."

Ben chuckled as he took his leave, knowing that there was a significant chance he'd be returning to carry her once again to her chambers in the East wing.

------------------------------------

The years never appeared to have passed as quickly as they did while Rey regally sat upon her throne to the right of Ben's, regarding the fact that there had also been a moment in her life when she shared a place amongst the gathering spectators – commoners and nobles alike.

After having been crowned Queen the evening of their wedding the thought of having a place amongst royalty still felt surreal – a dream that nevertheless made her feel terrified to awake from, fearing that she'd be back in the sand dunes, scrounging for ship parts to survive.

The irony behind it all was that her scavenging days were now merely memories that only existed within the depths of her mind, replacing the dream that had become reality that she lived daily. Twenty years ago she inadvertently found love, furthering to transpire into her marrying a prince – a king, whom asked her to become his queen.

Had Rey considered any prior moments between them magical those events undoubtedly couldn't compare to the evening of their wedding, bringing forth her own coronation in which Ben placed her crown upon her head and pronounced her Queen of Chandrila. The jewels shimmered elegantly amongst the golden lattice work of diamonds, coming to a single peak at the forefront of the formal garment. The captivating moment still managed to bring a smile to her face, proudly adorning the same crown this very evening for another event that seemingly appeared to be unfeasible.

Not only had Ben given her the gift of becoming a wife, but something far more precious that no amount of wealth could ever buy – for he had given her the chance to become a mother to two beautiful children; the younger of which was standing proudly next to her.

Étoiles was one of two stunning representations of the power of their love. For every time Rey looked at him she could only see a younger version of Ben; whereas Sola heavily took on Rey's features Étoiles inherited Ben's prominent facial features. Momentarily, that fleeting moment of regarding their son only brought upon the heaviness within her heart as to why they were sitting in this room, initially.

Eighteen years had quickly come and gone, leading to this very moment in which Ben was about to pronounce their daughter as his rightful heir to Chandrila. The logic never appeared to be feasible as it only felt like the day Sola came into their lives. However, times between Ben's investiture and Sola's had changed, dramatically for the better.

The primeval ethics of having to choose a suitor amongst royal heritage had been changed to allow all eligible bachelors to attend the ceremony as well as eliminating the mandatory choosing of a suitor. Well, 'all eligible bachelors' was still considered a loose phrase as Ben still placed stipulations on the requirements. He was definitely not open to the idea of a family of Hutts, or that of another family of mobsters, showing up to the gala. The thought of Sola having to be forced to marry after turning the legal age always made Ben's stomach churn, regarding the daunting times in which he had been forced to dance with women he could've cared less about he wasn't about to force the notion upon her.

Blindly, her hand settled onto Ben's that had been resting casually on the arm of his throne, intertwining their fingers together Rey diverted her attention from the crowd to regard her husband. A bemused look briefly fluttered across her face as he had been too busy, heavily scrutinizing the young men entering the crowd to notice her touch.

Rey rolled her eyes, snorting inaudibly to herself.

"For kriff sakes, Ben, you're being ridiculous," she chided gently. "She's more than likely not going to find her match at a gala."

Ben nodded, acknowledging her ridicule whilst refraining to remove his eyes from the crowd. "I know, but it doesn't mean that I can't protect her."

Rey smiled knowingly. She had always been amazed at how much love and affection he was capable of showing her, but it was nothing in comparison to how much he loved his children. The lengths he would go to protect his family were undoubtedly endless. No matter how overbearing it may have seemed. She squeezed his hand gently, fully capturing his undivided attention.

"Sola will always be our little girl, Ben." She asserted with only warmth behind her eyes. "Nothing will ever change that, but you also have to trust that we've given her the guidance to make her own choices: right and wrong."

Ben scoffed, wincing as her words inadvertently struck him like a heavy force shove – but she was right. Whether he wanted to admit the truth behind her soft words, or not Sola was growing up and no one could control the outcome of her choices any more than she could herself. He swallowed heavily, purposely bringing her hand that was resting on his to his lips. He kissed the back of her hand softly, offering her a reassuring smile in return. 

"I guess it can't be any worse given the circumstances of how we met, right?" He countered with an arched brow.

"And look what came out of those choices." Rey stated as a matter of fact. "Had it not been for those circumstances we wouldn't be as blessed as we are right now, Ben. Not a day goes by where I don't regret those choices that I made – no matter how terrible they seemed at first. And it's because of those choices that we now have two beautiful children, and a life that I never could have imagined having, had it not been for me falling in love with you."

Ben felt his heart swell with fulfillment, wanting nothing more than to pull her onto him and make love to her right then and there. Begrudgingly, that thought had to be enacted upon at a later time without an audience. Now, there were other imperative matters that required his attention.

The moment Sola appeared in the great hall, adorned in her chosen gown for the evening the sides of her hair were elegantly twisted into a stylishly, modest hairdo with silver tinsel woven between the dark strands of her hair. The rest of her locks hung dramatically to the center of her back in soft curls. A moonray circlet crown with icy hues of blue beads woven into the center of the garment clung, partially circled her head with a larger jewel dangling from the elegant coil at her forehead. 

A heavy sound of silence hovered simultaneously over the audience: eyes blown wide and mouths gaping in initial awe at the princess.  Sola could feel the butterflies flutter within the pit of her stomach, focusing her eyes on her parents as she made her way down the center aisle to distract her from the unwarranted gazes that were focused entirely on her. It wasn't until she stood before her parents when a heavy sigh of relief escaped her lips, having not noticing she was holding her breath until now.

The heavily exerted looks of pride complimented the beaming smiles on Rey and Ben's faces. Ben rose from his seated position, beginning the ceremony he guided Sola through the motions that they'd spent prior months practicing.

He presented her the scepter, their familial legacy saber of the Skywalker heritage. Sola stood proudly, wielding the lightsaber in one hand as Ben placed the Orb of the Galaxy into the other – a captivating spherical object that would only float and orbit in place within the hands of a force user whilst Sola recited her oath to become the next heir of Chandrila.

Threepio, who had been standing regally as expected of a droid at the far side of the King and Queen's centralized stance, announced to raucous applause, "May I present to you, Her Royal Highness, the crowned Princess Soleil Leia Solo, heir to the throne of Chandrila."

------------------------------------

The procession of Sola's ceremony gradually receded into the grand ballroom. The joyous sounds of chatter rose as courtiers gathered heavily, nearly drowning out the chosen tunes playing harmoniously throughout the massive chamber while others promptly took to the floor in dance.

Among those present for this significant occasion were Finn and Rose, greeting Rey and Ben and engaging further in chatter. Not too surprisingly as the years had passed, Ben and Finn had formally set aside their prominent differences, allowing their subtle abhorrence for the other to develop into a revered and most respected friendship.

While his parents engaged further in conversation, Jorden Tico strode confidently towards the center of the ballroom to stand before the heir apparent, Sola. He was adorned in his formal attire as a young captain in Ben's kingsguard as he greeted Sola with a ceremonial contemporary bow, acknowledging her importance in rank above his as the future Queen. A soft pink blush painted Sola's cheeks, happily accepting his request to dance with him.

Ben's brows raised at the scene that lay before him. "And how long as that been going on?" He gestured by cocking his head towards his daughter's known location.

An equal look of sheer horror blanketed across Finn and Rose's faces, remaining in spite of Rey's humorous chuckle. "It would appear that her long walks in the garden need to be supervised from now on," Rey surmised having had her own suspicions for months now. Her daughter's long walks and time spent alone with the Jorden had certainly been suspect in hindsight with this new information.

"We honestly had no idea!" Finn stated urgently, near pleading for forgiveness in his tone. "We're so sor -."

"Finn, why are you apologizing?" Rey inquired as she purposely cut off his attempted apology. "They've grown up together, really. This shouldn't be that much of a surprise."

"Well, we didn't realize," Finn stammered at an attempted retort. "I mean, she's obviously royal and he's -."

"And what was I so long ago?" Rey challenged with a quirked brow, crossing her arms over her chest. "Or how about Ben's father? And grandfather?"

Finn's attempt to apologize only fell silent. Begrudgingly, he all but prepared for his own funeral as he felt supremely unsettled under the scrutinizing look from Ben. Ben's eyes narrowed with contempt, considering the looks shared between their children. Although Ben couldn't deny that the way Sola and Jorden looked at one another could've only been compared to his earlier days with Rey before they admitted their love to each other.

Rey quirked a brow knowingly at Ben's imploring gaze, sighing heavily she took his hand into hers, threading their fingers together as she cupped her other hand over his forearm. Ben's expression fell soft as his gaze gradually shifted to hers.

"Come my love," she commanded gently. "You owe me a dance."

Ben considered her with apprehension, feeling the overpowering need to stay and watch over their daughter, reluctantly he submitted to Rey's request. With their fingers still intertwined Rey led him to the ballroom's outer terrace, acknowledging the late-autumn breeze with a fleeting shudder across her shoulders.

The luminescence of the moon's lighting shone brighter than ever, enabling the sequins of stars embellishing the azure blue velvet of her modestly chosen gown to twinkle, and those thickly covering the gossamer of her train.

Ben abruptly pulled her into the suitable dance form of a waltz with his hand settled upon the lower curvature of her back while his other gripped her free hand that wasn't settled upon his shoulder, closing the unwarranted gap between them.

Rey closed her eyes as her temple settled against his cheek, humming contentedly as she always felt at home within his arms. Despite every moment of lovemaking they shared these were the moments she longed for in between. Moments where it was just them with nothing but the stars and natural lighting that the evening had to offer – and their song lingering in the background. Sometimes it could only be heard within the distance of their memories, remaining inaudible to those outside of their bond as they'd occasionally share their memories the evening Ben revealed the re-creation of their tune.

Simultaneously, they smiled in acknowledgment to the other's unspoken words. Throughout the years it had accidentally come down to them simply needing to marvel in the peace of the other's company, allowing their emotions to freely flow like a river through the soul of one into the other.

Within the minutes that turned to hours, and the days to years their song lived on as everything, momentarily, had been forgotten. For that's how they discovered a moment could last forever, and how a tale as old as time could never die.

The End